Chipping Advice for a Beginner.....

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Chipping was daunting for me. I was always wooden and prone to thins.
Then I watched the 'More Pars' video on chipping, the one where Christina Ricci (?) talks about the zipped up jumper.
That technique works for me, now I look forwards to the challenge of a chip shot.
There are many techniques, have fun experimenting until you find one which makes you feel comfortable.

Fabia999

Visit site
What club do you use to bump and run the ball from the fringe? I know people who use a 7i and I know people who use an 8i. Does it matter or is it personal preference? I guess an 8i would lift it up a little higher, so probably used in thicker grass?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What club do you use to bump and run the ball from the fringe? I know people who use a 7i and I know people who use an 8i. Does it matter or is it personal preference? I guess an 8i would lift it up a little higher, so probably used in thicker grass?
Trial and error. I jump from 5 iron to Pw based on lie, distance, whats in front of me etc.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hope your fringes aren't that thick!

The basic difference between an 8 and 7 is the shaft length...loft and launch can easily be adjusted beyond the parameters of their different underlying lofts by ball position, shaft lean and angle of attack (although as natural as possible works best for me).

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

This video seriously sorted my chipping out, I was often chunking my chips and I could vary from very good to it ruining my round. But now I am super confident of the strike and I'm checking the ball up like a pro.

In essence don't lean the club forward as is the traditional advice. Pick a club with the correct loft, why pick up a PW then turn into a 7 iron my leaning the shaft forward, just pick a 7 iron.

Ball placed just back of centre not all the way the back in your stance.

Like a putting stroke, but make sure the butt of the club moves away from you as well. Not sure of the mechanics why, but it has seriously transformed my chipping

D

Deleted member 1147

Look no further than the master

Keep it simple - hands slightly forward, weight more on the front foot (60:40), take it back and return it to where it started

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
as someone who has had major issues chipping in the past I can only say that find a technique you feel comfortable with and stick with it and practice, practice, practice.
I now spend 30-45 on the range and 60-90 mins chipping/putting a week

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
as someone who has had major issues chipping in the past I can only say that find a technique you feel comfortable with and stick with it and practice, practice, practice.
I now spend 30-45 on the range and 60-90 mins chipping/putting a week

............ and 72 minutes a round working out which trees to avoid when chipping out 😉

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played a fun chipping game with my friend this evening on the practice green.

6 pins. 3 attempts. Best worst shot wins. Fairly ramps up the pressure. 6 different clubs. Only use 1 club once.

Then played again and winner of last hole chooses the target and we each choose what club the other has to use. Again 6 different clubs only used once.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Best advice for chipping. Weight favouring the left side (for a righty), keep your shoulders level (this is vital), ball in the middle of the stance. Don't drop you right shoulder at address or through strike, this bring chunks and thins into play. The club should be coming into the ball shallow and just brushing the grass after the ball. Personally, I wouldn't go with the stiff wrist approach, that is very un-natural, you wouldn't throw a ball like that, so there will be a tiny amount of natural wrist break.

Club choice is down to personal preference, but unless you have hours to practice every shot with every club, I would go with once club for all low shots, and have the lob wedge available for when you need to go over stuff.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You have to make chipping practice realistic. There is a place for block practice of technique but playing the same shot to the same target, usually from a decent lie can only help so much. I tend to play a simple scramble game and choose three targets (an easy chip, a medium chip and a difficult chip) and play three balls from each. Chuck the balls so they land randomly and play one to each target (so you're not hitting three consecutive shots to the same target) and then putt out. Up and down is a par (chip in a birdie, and chip and two putts a bogey). Set a score and then try and beat it. Far more realistic, it adds pressure to get a good score and you have to vary the clubs for each shot depending on lie and distance

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
You have to make chipping practice realistic. There is a place for block practice of technique but playing the same shot to the same target, usually from a decent lie can only help so much. I tend to play a simple scramble game and choose three targets (an easy chip, a medium chip and a difficult chip) and play three balls from each. Chuck the balls so they land randomly and play one to each target (so you're not hitting three consecutive shots to the same target) and then putt out. Up and down is a par (chip in a birdie, and chip and two putts a bogey). Set a score and then try and beat it. Far more realistic, it adds pressure to get a good score and you have to vary the clubs for each shot depending on lie and distance

when I practice my chipping I pick 3 flags on the green and hit alternative shots to each one but I make sure the ball isn't always on a nice fluffy lie

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Best advice for chipping. Weight favouring the left side (for a righty), keep your shoulders level (this is vital), ball in the middle of the stance. Don't drop you right shoulder at address or through strike, this bring chunks and thins into play. The club should be coming into the ball shallow and just brushing the grass after the ball. Personally, I wouldn't go with the stiff wrist approach, that is very un-natural, you wouldn't throw a ball like that, so there will be a tiny amount of natural wrist break.

Club choice is down to personal preference, but unless you have hours to practice every shot with every club, I would go with once club for all low shots, and have the lob wedge available for when you need to go over stuff.

This may be the best advice for you but not for everyone.
Some vary the club, some take divots, some keep the wrists firm and some never use a lob wedge.
Each to their own

D

Deleted member 23344

I use a pitching wedge and place the ball level with my back foot ... then swing gently with straight arms. A pro suggested this and it works for me ... my chipping is no longer a problem area (which is just as well because most other facets of the game are!). If the ball has further to travel, I use an 8 iron.