Chipping Advice for a Beginner.....

Sairamtim

Visit site
Hi Guys,

Played a disappointing round today and my chipping was all over the place. Currently playing wIth4 clubs, a hybrid, a 7 iron, a putter and a Ping Glide SS 56. One of my friends suggested today that a sand wedge is challenging to be playing all your chip shots with as there is little margin for error.

Is he correct? What wedge would you guys recommend for which is forgiving and good all purpose?

All other thoughts on chipping gratefully received....Thanks.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on where you are on the course, some shots call for loft, chipping over a bunker, up a hill etc etc. As a general rule, keep the ball as low as possible, if it’s puttable, putt it. Next you need to practice a little 9i or in your case a 7i bump and run. YouTube has loads of how to’s but if you can get good at this it can save a lot of shots.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Chipping, like most things in golf, is difficult. I think most of us have around 4 wedges, personally I have a 64, 56, 50, and a pitching wedge from the set of irons, many players will use all manner of clubs to chip with and a 3 iron or rescue club us not unusual. It's always imo best to have a lesson on chipping from a pro then practice practice practice

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At a pro am last year the pro I was with advised the following for chipping from around 30yds and in. Grip down the club a little, keep your arms in a V, dont break your wrists and hit down on the ball, using the bounce of the sole. Vary the length of your swing depending on how far you have to go but remember this technique is not meant for long shots. Always accelerate through the shot and don't try to hit the ball up. The loft of the club will do that job. This has helped give me better consistency and hit the centre of the club more.

It may look a little stiff but there are few parts to go wrong when you do this. It works well for me anyway

I use a 52 degree wedge for my shots around the green but you need to work out which club and loft suits you best of all.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends on where you are on the course, some shots call for loft, chipping over a bunker, up a hill etc etc. As a general rule, keep the ball as low as possible, if it’s puttable, putt it. Next you need to practice a little 9i or in your case a 7i bump and run. YouTube has loads of how to’s but if you can get good at this it can save a lot of shots.

+1

I see so many players take PW, 52, 56,60 degree wedges from the fringe and within 10 yards of the green on the fairway, when a bump and run 9 iron is the shot.

Ok if your blindsided or or have to chip over a bunker take a lofted shot, but when its reasonably flat or with a lot of green to work with a bump and run is the shot most of the time for me. I think lots of golfers love to play the pitch and stop that works 2 out of 10 for most, but looks a great golf shot. However, the shot that works more 8 out of 10 but doesnt look as spectacular gets more results.

Its very easy to practice and is a quarter/3rd of a swing instead of half or 3/4 of a swing. Its more like a putter grip, keep the club as low to the ground as long as possible and play off the back foot is how I play it. If 30-40 yards away from the pin may do the same with an 8 iron of a 9 iron, instead.

Last edited:

Sairamtim

Visit site
I tried a chip and run on the 18th actually with the 7 iron. Perfect line and actually thought it might go in but unfortunately hit it far too hard. But never really practiced that shot previously. Well get the insttructor I am having lessons with to dedicate an entire lesson to it soon. Thanks guys.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You could just learn one technique and vary which club you use for different situations or
Just use one club and vary the technique for different situations.
Both work just as well.
My advice would be don't hit it high unless you have to.
A lesson would be the best idea

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get something like a 52 and you will never regret it.

I would go with Bob and get a lesson on the short game. I languished for quite a few years around the 20 handicap mark and it was only when I decided to have short game lessons that my game really improved.

I would get technical about a SW but you would probably find it confusing at this stage.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing with one club is a one dimensional approach (as I know) and there are a lot of ways to skin the proverbial cat. A short game lesson would be the best way forward in my opinion, but I have struggled with my chipping but have found the linear method sits well in my golfing mind and I've had some success with it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I try to land the ball just on the green and let it run .
So the closer you are the less run you need so more loft.
Father away less loft but more run.
Works well for me but you need to practice to learn how each club runs out.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try using a putting stroke for all of your clubs around the greens or just short of them. I will quite happily use all but my driver in such a manner depending on situation.
Dont be araid to try things others wont or dont.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I try to land the ball just on the green and let it run .
So the closer you are the less run you need so more loft.
Father away less loft but more run.
Works well for me but you need to practice to learn how each club runs out.

I like this approach, there's a cracking Jim Furyk video which explains chipping with various clubs for different lengths but using exactly the same swing.
Also try to be as neutral as possible with your hands, I sometimes tend to be right hand dominant which in my case causes the ball to go left of target.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Played a disappointing round today and my chipping was all over the place. Currently playing wIth4 clubs, a hybrid, a 7 iron, a putter and a Ping Glide SS 56. One of my friends suggested today that a sand wedge is challenging to be playing all your chip shots with as there is little margin for error.

Is he correct? What wedge would you guys recommend for which is forgiving and good all purpose?

All other thoughts on chipping gratefully received....Thanks.

STAY AWAY FROM YOUTUBE!

I'm no beginner but I managed to get myself in a terrible muddle with my chipping last year. I dreaded any sort of chip shot around the green and a very high percentage would end up chunked about 3ft infront of me.

My problem was that I had confused myself by watching so many chipping instruction videos on Youtube that I ended up with no solid grasp of one technique. There are so many ways to chip and a video for each can be found pretty easily.

My advice is go and get a lesson or two and do what you are told! Then practice practice practice. My chipping has improved hugely (still not great but so much better)

Sairamtim

Visit site
Some of my chips definitely get dragged left so that must be the right taking over. Some good dieas in here.

I have decided that chip and run is a must. I have been trying to lob the ball up in the air far too much and it has been very unnecessary most of the time. I could definitely have played far easier, safer shots.

Having lessons currently so will make sure a couple are dedicated to the short game soon. Thanks

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
As has been said, use a pitch and run when possible, but of course there are occasions when it has to go up a lot but not very far. That's the hard chip shot needing a different technique. That is the "frightener "😀
So, two techniques to master, one easy, one not.
The pitch and run has been well described here and if you do it like that you won't go far wrong.
The chip? Make sure your lessons include this one and not just the pitch and run.
Best of luck

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some of my chips definitely get dragged left so that must be the right taking over. Some good dieas in here.

I have decided that chip and run is a must. I have been trying to lob the ball up in the air far too much and it has been very unnecessary most of the time. I could definitely have played far easier, safer shots.

Having lessons currently so will make sure a couple are dedicated to the short game soon. Thanks

get a lesson from a Pro who can watch and show you/ teach you what to do, YT vids and advice from from people who are not qualified (accept Bob of Course) may lead you up the garden path.

good luck

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Lesson, practice, work out what you're good at. Chip and run for me wherever I can, and from 5 iron to 9 iron. 56 degree I can play a variety of shots with including a bump and run with a little check. 60 degree if in very fluffy stuff.

mister v

Visit site
I've been watching a phil mickleson youtube video and i really like it, he explains the drills really well and it's fair to say his short game is pretty good.......