Chesfield Downs

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking to play somewhere new on Saturday and was thinking of here. Has anyone played it and what is it like? Is it really hilly?
And other suggestions around that area?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Westy on here is a member, it can get a bit rammed I believe, quite open to the elements aswell. Stevenage golf course at Aston is supposed to be a decent Muni with a fair bit of water to negotiate, Panshangar, Beadlow Manor I like but suffers in the wet & fairly long with 6 par 5's ;)

Depends on budget really as there are some very nice courses but obviously can cost a few quid more

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As G1BBO says I'm a member. Weekends do get a bit rammed and it's members only up until lunchtime. Although if there are free tee times I think you can book if the members haven't already taken them.

It's quite an open course so you can get away with spraying it about a bit off the tee, it's mainly a second shot course. It's not that hilly. 16th is a bit of a trek upward, long par 5 uphill all the way. It's known as heart attack hill, for obvious reasons :eek:

The courses biggest defence is the wind. Hitting into the wind can really stretch some holes out.

It's in pretty good nick at the moment, including the greens. It probably drains the best out of most local courses so tends to be open when most are closed and I can't remember the last time we were off temps.

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Westy on here is a member, it can get a bit rammed I believe, quite open to the elements aswell. Stevenage golf course at Aston is supposed to be a decent Muni with a fair bit of water to negotiate, Panshangar, Beadlow Manor I like but suffers in the wet & fairly long with 6 par 5's ;)

Depends on budget really as there are some very nice courses but obviously can cost a few quid more

Which course have you played at Beadlow Manor...I fancy the Baroness next time I play a round.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's alright for a public facility (Crown Golf), nothing special tho', fairly exposed, open and breezy. it's not overly difficult to walk.

Probably fine for a round, not sure how busy at the weekends.

Not sure if Royston is available on a Saturday (much harder walk)

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Of the courses mentioned in this thread, which I have played, Royston > Chesfield > Aston.

I'll throw Bourn in to the hat. Greens were like glass at the weekend.

(They should never have renamed Jack O'Legs as Chesfield Downs :( )

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not a fan of Royston. Played it last year and was a struggle.
I have looked on the Beadlow website and they have mentioned they have put a layer of sand on the greens but some reviews on other sites suggest major work done to improve the greens.

2 courses I would like to try are
Bedford Golf club on Carnoustie Drive and the Bedfordshire in Stagsden.

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
The Bedford is a nice course. The quality of the fairways and greens is excellent. It is let down by a couple of holes and the generally bland environment in which it is set.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not a fan of Royston. Played it last year and was a struggle.
I have looked on the Beadlow website and they have mentioned they have put a layer of sand on the greens but some reviews on other sites suggest major work done to improve the greens.

2 courses I would like to try are
Bedford Golf club on Carnoustie Drive and the Bedfordshire in Stagsden.

Both are OK but nothing special mate

The Bedford, in the middle of a housing estate is great to play in the winter as it has exceptional drainage (and a sand base) and the greens are excellent in winter. In summer it can get too dry over there for sure and the fairways especially suffer when it gets dry. I tend to play in a few of the winter pro-ams each year and they are good fun, the course layout is ok without being special, it winds its way through new build housing and you do tend to find the wind can howl through there

(If you want to play there midweek before the end of May I have a voucher for a free round of golf for 1 I could send you, obv any playing partner would have to pay a greenfee)

The Bedfordshire is on the side of the hill on the north road from MK to Bedford and again just OK for me, only played it once and cant really remember much about it (which isnt the best of recommendations lol)

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers Fundy,
I am just looking to play some new local (30 mile) radius of Cambridge this year so any ohter suggestions chaps would be great. Normally like to play Sat/Sun afternoons.

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, although only once. It is a lovely little course, very compact (but not short) and an interesting setting amongst the gallops of Newmarket Racecourse. I enjoyed it and will go back, hopefully sometime soon.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know about you but I find Cambridge lacking in a real good stand out course.

you played Gog Magog (old)? thats a decent track (always used to be, not been there for many a year), stand out wise the other that springs to mind is John O Gaunt (between Cambridge and Bedford)

Last edited:

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
you played Gog Magog (old)? thats a decent track (always used to be, not been there for many a year), stand out wise the other that springs to mind is John O Gaunt (between Cambridge and Bedford)

John O'Gaunt is very much on my to do list in the summer. Maybe as a birthday present to myself. A tad too expensive for a few times a month.

Gogs is also a tad expensive at weekends.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bedford & County is a nice course as is Brampton Park. Held membership of both until recently but now only at Brampton.

Wellingborough might be in the radius but perhaps pricey at weekends?

If you want to play Brampton on a weekend afternoon let us know and we can sign you in...

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bedford & County is a nice course as is Brampton Park. Held membership of both until recently but now only at Brampton.

Wellingborough might be in the radius but perhaps pricey at weekends?

If you want to play Brampton on a weekend afternoon let us know and we can sign you in...

Excellent. Thank you Amanda