Ceramic sink in the kitchen

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is probably the last time we do a kitchen renovation. The showroom has suggested a undermounted ceramic sink. It looks great and HID likes it. We have never had a ceramic one before. But she is worried about chipping it and staining it. Any experience or suggestions

I think this is the brand

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It will outlast you. Doesn’t scratch, nor react to cleaning chemicals like a steel one. Unless you’re going to bounce ball bearings around in it, you’ve got nothing to worry about.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This is probably the last time we do a kitchen renovation. The showroom has suggested a undermounted ceramic sink. It looks great and HID likes it. We have never had a ceramic one before. But she is worried about chipping it and staining it. Any experience or suggestions

Flippin Nora, I must be out of touch.
That £200 more than my first car 😮

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have had one for about 10-12 years and it still looks good. It isn't perfect but then neither would a stainless steel one be. No chips or dents, any mild marking is negligible and it is just natural ageing. If we changed our kitchen we would get the same or similar sink in again.

Go for it, they look good and do the job 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't like under counter sinks as the bottom of the sink is lower than a regular sink and I've always had backache when I've used one.
ditto to this sort of thing. I find even standard kitchen units are too low for the modern age. I fitted my own kitchen - all leg heights are at their maximum setting and there is an additional MDF layer between the units and the work tops.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
we never had one before.. so i dont know.. but i see what you mean

ditto to this sort of thing. I find even standard kitchen units are too low for the modern age. I fitted my own kitchen - all leg heights are at their maximum setting and there is an additional MDF layer between the units and the work tops.

We made sure son-in-law did the same for ours.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We've got one similar to the reginox one linked above. Had it 2.5 years now and it looks the same as the day it went in.

The one we took out of the kitchen when we moved in must have been 30 years old and would have cleaned up nicely - my mum and dad's neighbour ended up taking it as a planter for their garden. Wad a bit gutted when we went the reclamation place a while later and they were still going for £100 quid second hand!

Interestingly I've never really thought about counter or sink height before despite being pretty tall but my missus mentioned the other day that she wished it was all a bit taller.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When we moved in the house came with a ceramic sink, kitchen was about 5 years old maybe? It's still there , so that's 14 years old. Bit of wear at bottom around plug but otherwise looks good. Better than any steal sink I've seen

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

The misses builds kitchen and I just ask and they use Shaws as well. The company she works for does super high end bespoke kitchens, high 5 figures. So it can’t be crap.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally, I dislike ceramic sinks in the kitchen. Boot room or laundry, no problem, but not in the kitchen.
One thing is that how low the plumbing and trap has to be which in turn can make issues with anything draining onto a spigot such as the dishwasher. Plus they sit on a unit shelf, which then can become a trap for water.

One thing aside from the sink not to forget, is to allow ventillation in the kickpanel and up the back and out the top for the integrated fridge freezer if youre having one. So many kitchen companies/fitters omit the 200cm2 free flowing ventillation you should have which will invailidate your warranty without it, unless you have a fridge freezer with a fan blown condenser. Even the high end stuff can have it missed off.
Just saying:)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally, I dislike ceramic sinks in the kitchen. Boot room or laundry, no problem, but not in the kitchen.
One thing is that how low the plumbing and trap has to be which in turn can make issues with anything draining onto a spigot such as the dishwasher. Plus they sit on a unit shelf, which then can become a trap for water.

One thing aside from the sink not to forget, is to allow ventillation in the kickpanel and up the back and out the top for the integrated fridge freezer if youre having one. So many kitchen companies/fitters omit the 200cm2 free flowing ventillation you should have which will invailidate your warranty without it, unless you have a fridge freezer with a fan blown condenser. Even the high end stuff can have it missed off.
Just saying:)
Tnx on the fridge.. we r keeping our freestanding Samsung American FF.. was bought during Covid, and I hope it will run for the next 10 years.

Saw this beast during our travels. Love it but don’t have the space or the budget or need for it..

1699713607908.jpeg

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Look like SubZero. You could buy a new good car for the price of one of them:)
I think that is the brand.. had never heard of it before that.. costs between 5-25K.. I wonder what it can do that my Samsung can’t do ..

(Obviously, I am not the target market)