Celtic Manor

antmoss3

Visit site
Hi all
Currently looking at a trip to Celtic Manor in Feb and have been quoted £89.00 to play:

1 round on the Montgomerie Course

1 round on the Roman Road Course

An extra £50.00 to change one of the above to the 2010 course...is it worth it? If yes, which of montgomorie/roman road would you swap out?

Thanks!
Anthony

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If you have the money, definitely play the 2010. If it was down to me, I would match that with Roman Road. But, some locals prefer the Monty, and some prefer The Roman Road!! My thoughts for what it is worth.....

Roman Road: They have made some changes over the years, initially to remove the long par 5 by the main hotel, this resulted in a daft long walk to the next tee. Last year they fixed this by making the 16th a par 3 over the pond and using the old 17th green (previously a par 3) to make a new short but tricky par 4 with a drive over the lake. I think this works really well. Has some really decent holes on it and it is more walkable. You also tee off right by the top clubhouse and therefore don't have to run over the Monty first tee which is some distance away.

Monty: This course was made from the leftover holes (with some changes) from the former Wentwood Hills Course (now defunked) after the lower holes were pinched to make up the 2010 AND some holes (with some changes) from the old Academy Course. This course has some of the best, but also some of the weakest holes on the property!! (due to the two different origins) Also it has some of the toughest and longest walks between holes as it is made of bits of two different courses. (see note about buggies!)

Buggies are not allowed off the cart path at any time here (due to severity of gradients and it gets wet in Wales!) If you get on the side away from the path, it is often a long way. For this reason, most members walk with power trolleys. The Roman Road flows better and has far fewer hikes between holes than the Monty, some of which are tough! .... for this reason I prefer it. (But others may differ) Check out the maps to see what I mean!! But as I said, some great holes on the Monty, but some quite poor ones too.

But as I said, you might get someone else who prefers the Monty! (does that price include the overnight stop?" If so, not bad at all) There are some decent other courses to play en route too!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely worth it to play the 2010 and personally I prefer the Monty over the RR. Might be because the 3rd hole on the Monty is probably one of my favourite holes I have ever played.

RR tends to get very wet under foot and I think the 16th and 17th are terrible holes, but others obviously think differently. The 7th also feels like it has been squeezed in.

Pretty sure they offer a deal where you can play all 3 that isn't much more than the 2 course deal they do.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
....then it's a bus ride to the 4th tee! :) Like I said, you can toss a coin on the other two courses.

BUT, I missed the bit about playing there in February. :) If there's been rain, you'll find tees and greens will be fine, most fairways ok (ish) and the bits off the fairway as muddy as can be!

Plenty of good links courses along the South Wales... go and play Ashburnham & Tenby great value in the winter

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
I loved the experience of the 2010 course - £50 is ok value I think!

The value you see in accommodation and golf is more than offset against the cost of food and drink.

sunshine

Visit site
Definitely worth it to play the 2010 and personally I prefer the Monty over the RR. Might be because the 3rd hole on the Monty is probably one of my favourite holes I have ever played.

RR tends to get very wet under foot and I think the 16th and 17th are terrible holes, but others obviously think differently. The 7th also feels like it has been squeezed in.

Pretty sure they offer a deal where you can play all 3 that isn't much more than the 2 course deal they do.

The 3rd on the Monty is definitely my favourite hole at Celtic Manor. But it's offset by a load of weak / average holes.