car thiefs new way of entering

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
last night i heard that there was a lot folk trying to break into cars but were disturbed. also i know someone who's both cars were broken into with no signs of entry. also heard that there is some device that you point at any car and it will open it!!!! possibly an app for criminals,
just borrowed a 1000 pound drill of someone today and its now lying on my kitchen floor

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
We got a security briefing about it recently. Here is the email. All,The following detail is an extract from a ciruclation regarding criminalactivity in London. It is only a matter of time before it is the normhere. These devices are freely available on the internet so beware andensure your drivers "Stay Alert." I would recommend the fitting of SlamLocks to all vehicles to in addition to central locking to prevent thistype of activity."One of our members has called asking me to warn the membership of theftsthey have had in the West End this week where organised criminals have beenusing code grabbers (to see exampleshttp://autokeydevices.com/catalog.php?sub=10 ). These devices capture thetransmitted code from the vehicle’s key when the driver locks it, thecaptured code is then used to access the van. The codes can also be storedfor later use.In the instances that occurred CCTV footage shows the vans were followedand opened once the driver was away delivering a shipment. The thieves wentfor the larger boxes and were in and out of the vehicle in less than 2minutes, even locking it again when they were finished.Please advise your drivers to be careful about someone in close proximityto them who is on a mobile phone when they are remotely locking theirvehicle as this person could be using a code grabber device.The courier company in question as a precautionary measure is now havingslam-locks fitted to their vehicles to protect the content"Kind Regards

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not only can they gain entry to vehicles with these code grabbers with another 'device' they can start up and drive away your car all in less than five minutes... This is mostly a problem with BMW's I understand... Friends have taken to using 'old fashioned' steering wheel disk locks as these will keep thieves at bay longer than any of the factory fitted security devices...

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Code grabber devices have been used for yonks! Not heard about this device "you point at any car and it will open it"?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Answer should be simple, lock with a key turn when leaving, unlock with the remote when coming back.

It is just convenience that we all lock with the remote, often hovering the key inches from the lock anyway!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Answer should be simple, lock with a key turn when leaving, unlock with the remote when coming back.

Getting into the vehicle has never been a problem to the determined scum of this world... Six months 'holiday' at her majestys pleasure is normally more than enough time to educate anyone of all the necessary 'skills'...

A near neighbour [landscape gardener] got so fed up with his van being broken into he did at one point start kenneling his pit bull in it overnight!

harvey4banger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The local scumbags near my work, nick the cat convertors off our vans at least a couple of times a week, apparently worth a good few quid for their scrap value.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

It is just convenience that we all lock with the remote, often hovering the key inches from the lock anyway!

All very nice if you have a key, most new cars now don't have one just the fob.

VW Passats for instance.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Code grabbers were around in the 90s. Clifford, TOAD, etc fitted anti-grab technology to all of their alarms as standard.

If cars are being produced and sold without anti-grab technology as standard then the manufacturers need to be sued!

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the any car thing is BS.

However there is an inherent fault with all 56> BMWS which allow a device to reset the cars alarm and starter signal without the need for the original key. This was recently on watchdog.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is nothing new
About 8 to years ago, when picking my car back up from one of the off site car parks at one of teh regional airports (cant remember which, Luton, Stansted, Bristol or something) was chatting to the receptionist bloke about security and keys and things. he said it was a nightmare, and i asked him why. he randomly picked up a key from the rack from a major luxury car manufacturer, walked outside with me, pointed the key at the masses of cars parked there and pressed the "open" button on it - i think it was at least 5 cars flashed and opened !!!

He said Fords were quite good however