Can't stop re-gripping before backswing

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Several people have told me that after I set up and just before I take the club back I regrip the club, which will cause the club face to close. I've tried to concentrate on not doing it, but the whole swing just feels horrible and then I usually strike the ball very poorly.

Is this something I should try to correct, or just accept it's part of my swing? If I was to eliminate this, what could the improvement actually do to my shots?

I play off 21 and I think the weakest element/ or biggest issue with my game* are my longer irons accuracy. I'm usually OK off the tee (albeit only around 240 yards with the driver) usually leaving me with a long iron and although the distance is usually spot on I'll be off to the right of the green after my "fade" (read slice) meaning I need to take that extra shot to get onto the green and then usually it's a 2 putt

* I appreciate putting can always be improved as I currently average 2 a hole, but I don't care about regripping when I putt! Short game as well can be improved, but I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time! Ha!

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
from time to time i find little ticks like this creep in to my set up and they are agonising to change. a method i found to change this was just to count simply to four as you set up to the ball on 1 - left foot into position, 2 - right foot, 3 - club behind the ball, 4 - hit. preferable to do this at the range and you will be surprised how quickly you can eradicate the instinct to fiddle at address.

however, I ususally find that when i have the urge to tweak something at address its because subconsciously i know that my set up is at fault. maybe an idea to let a pro have a look, although that will be opening pandora's box if you're not having lessons already...

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
from time to time i find little ticks like this creep in to my set up and they are agonising to change. a method i found to change this was just to count simply to four as you set up to the ball on 1 - left foot into position, 2 - right foot, 3 - club behind the ball, 4 - hit. preferable to do this at the range and you will be surprised how quickly you can eradicate the instinct to fiddle at address.

however, I ususally find that when i have the urge to tweak something at address its because subconsciously i know that my set up is at fault. maybe an idea to let a pro have a look, although that will be opening pandora's box if you're not having lessons already...

I had some lessons and he noticed the re-gripping and we worked on it for pretty much the whole lesson and whenever I didn't regrip my shot was awful. In the end he said just keep it if you're comfortable, but that was a couple of years ago and I think I have progressed as a golfer so thought maybe I can try and work on it now