Can't beat H²0 from the sky!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Our greens have been OK throughout the summer, but nothing outstanding. Our water comes from an underground aquifer in the limestone beneath the course. In his latest report the greenkeeper reported that he was having difficulty getting the greens right because the water was too alkaline. He also said that there were H & S problems with adding acid to the water - he didn't explain what the problems were.

Over the last couple of weeks we have had quite a lot of rain and the difference in the greens has been amazing. Although still firm, they are greener & the growth is more dense. The ball is rolling better than it has done all summer. For the last few years our greens have been as good in October as any other time of the year & it seems obvious that the Ph level provided by rain is more beneficial to the grass.

Has anyone else had this? Our course sits on limestone so the water coming out of the ground is naturally hard. I never knew before how much difference it makes.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
This is a great post and it shows the difficulties and challenges that greenkeepers face. How many members were moaning that you have water and yet the greens were poorer than normal. How many were saying that the greens staff weren't doing enough.

I'm sure that even after the newsletter that explained the situation some members were still saying "balloney".

Yet as you say the proof is in the pudding.

There are some many influences and factors that us members don't realise or appreciate.

(Not saying you were questioning the GK but I guarantee there were members of your club moaning and questioning him.)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
This is a great post and it shows the difficulties and challenges that greenkeepers face. How many members were moaning that you have water and yet the greens were poorer than normal. How many were saying that the greens staff weren't doing enough.

I'm sure that even after the newsletter that explained the situation some members were still saying "balloney".

Yet as you say the proof is in the pudding.

There are some many influences and factors that us members don't realise or appreciate.

(Not saying you were questioning the GK but I guarantee there were members of your club moaning and questioning him.)

There were. I wasn't one of them but I was curious to know what the problem was.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Doubt it's for the same reason as OP but I went out for a doz holes later yesterday afternoon. Evidence of the fine-tine aeration done last week has disappeared and our greens were quite firm - but you could hold the ball quite easily - and they were putting beautifully. Over the dry period we were drawing a lot water from our own bore hole and so the greens were only getting that. I don't know what the underlying rock is but the greens are good.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We abstract our water via a bore hole but the area is sandstone so I do not think it makes that much difference. The water certainly tastes better than that from a tap in any house in the town which come a much more lime based area.

The greens and tees have all been kept alive solely from the sprinklers system this summer and there does not appear to be much wrong with them.

One of the funnies is that one of the tees adjoins a farmers field and the height of the maize next to the tee is nearly twice that of the rest of the field.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Said in my OP it comes from an underground aquifer
Sorry missed that when typing, in my limited knowledge (👍) all water is treatable. Ive witnessed a hospital making there own dosing system to treat the water, which comes from an underground aquifer. Very primitive but does the job.
Perhaps get an expert in to find a solution for your club. As u have the water there on tap best to use it?