Calling any 2nd hand car buffs

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone suggest a good "runaround" motor for the bread knife??

Just town stuff, school run etc really. Decent level of safety and must be a hatchback/estate to pop the dog in occaisionally. Apart from that I'm not really fussy any suggestions most welcome.

Only want to spend £2500 to £3K.

An Alfa 156 sportswagon is looking favourite at the moment. (Hides to avoid Alfa reliability stoning!!) :D

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Done up Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 club with 18 inch alloys, an exhaust that could house a small Romanian family and a body kit put on by Ray Charles with a spray job done by his old mate in the garage Stevie Wonder?? Insist that it has the factory fitted Halfords stereo (14 tweeters and 8 12inch subs), blacked out windows, those little blue lights on the windscreen sprayers and an 'on a mission' sticker in the back window?? They're all the rage down my way.... ;)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Done up Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 club with 18 inch alloys, an exhaust that could house a small Romanian family and a body kit put on by Ray Charles with a spray job done by his old mate in the garage Stevie Wonder?? Insist that it has the factory fitted Halfords stereo (14 tweeters and 8 12inch subs), blacked out windows, those little blue lights on the windscreen sprayers and an 'on a mission' sticker in the back window?? They're all the rage down my way.... ;)

Haha, my missus said something discreet, I think that fits the bill!! :D

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't drive so I can't speak of my own experience. But my brother has had a Mazda 3 for the past 4/5 years that he bought new, He said it has been the most reliable car he has ever had and a nice drive too. His last car was an Alfa 156, which was an absolute nightmare, it seemed to be in the garage once a month for repairs.

stevewilko

Medal Winner
Visit site
Advise going on What Car web site first, lists all known faults with whatever model you are interested and also tells you what you should be paying.
No Bull just facts.
Happy hunting!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't laugh.
Skoda Fabia.
Great cars, lots of car for the money, reliable (see the Top Gear JD Powers survey) and a decent sized boot.
Better than any French/Italian crap.
Would I buy one? Without a shadow of doubt.

I may not know a lot about golf but I've been selling cars for 24 years
;)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
But my brother has had a Mazda 3 for the past 4/5 years that he bought new, He said it has been the most reliable car he has ever had and a nice drive too. His last car was an Alfa 156, which was an absolute nightmare, it seemed to be in the garage once a month for repairs.

No surprise. As an "ex" japanese car enthusiast, I'd look no further than mazda/honda/toyota.

If you want small, the Jazz is good (although tediously slow and very boring) and the Yaris D4-D is a really slow-drinker.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only paid £2800 for a fully loaded V70 2.4 Estate with Full leather & Winter pack, and 90k on the clock.

Hardly run in by Volvo standards, and hasnt missed a beat.

Cavernous in tee boot too, my hound is regularly in there.

:cool:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Skoda Fabia.

Any particular model Rob?? 1.9 Diesel range okay??

Diesel is fine, but so are the petrols.
You will pay more for a Diesel car and it's only worth getting one if you are doing a lot (and I mean 20k plus) miles a year.
Diesels are a false economy unless you are doing a lot of leg.
If you paid £700 more to buy the equiv Diesel car, work the math out. It will take you forever to get that £700 back.
Trust me
;)

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't laugh.
Skoda Fabia.
Great cars, lots of car for the money, reliable (see the Top Gear JD Powers survey) and a decent sized boot.

;)
Hey smiffy do you have an overcoat with a velvet collar and trilby.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only paid £2800 for a fully loaded V70 2.4 Estate with Full leather & Winter pack, and 90k on the clock.

Nice.....(my sis has one) but she's almost bankrupt running it on short journeys.....

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you want small, the Jazz is good (although tediously slow and very boring) and the Yaris D4-D is a really slow-drinker.

And if you can get a decent one of either of those for between £2500-£3000.00 could you let me have half a dozen of each of them????
Seriously, you just want a run around? Skoda Fabia.
You'll get a lot of car for the money and when it comes flog it time again you'll have no problems.
As I said above, trust me already
;)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

And if you can get a decent one of either of those for between £2500-£3000.00 could you let me have half a dozen of each of them????
Seriously, you just want a run around? Skoda Fabia.
You'll get a lot of car for the money and when it comes flog it time again you'll have no problems.
As I said above, trust me already
;)

No shortage around here Smiffy. Found a Jazz only 2 months back for a work colleague.
Anyway....too small from the sounds of things.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Don't laugh.
Skoda Fabia.

;)

Marlene!!!! ;)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk

Nice.....(my sis has one) but she's almost bankrupt running it on short journeys.....

Despite everyones advice not to on here. I recently got a V70 2.4 petrol. £2600 116k on the clock, full leather climate control, aircon, auto, but not with the full winter pack, just the 'W' button for winter driving.

The Volvo is thirsty, very thirsty on short trips. Under 25 mpg :eek: However it's a lovely car to drive, very comfortable, carnevious boot, and enough airbags to keep the Titanic afloat. So great for keeping my kids nice and safe.

I was considering the Alfa Sportwagon , but not on my money! The Volvo is here for 10 years potentially. It should easily do it.

Not a recommedation for the OP really though. But a lot of car for the money.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
may be worth looking at the Renault Clio Range
My obergruppenfuhrer has a 5 door 1400cc with a 54 plate , can seat 5, with a proper middle rear seat belt, not a lap belt job.

ours was £4500 2 years ago with 27000 on the clock

You can also get the odd great bargain on Ebay, like the Merc CLK230 soft top I got for £4500 a couple of years ago. :eek: