Calling all runners.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Asics do a good running app for mobile phones. You can set your target (10K) when you want to achieve it (May) how much you can currently manage reasonably (15mins steady running)

It will then work a programme out for you and send you reminders each day, its not fast paced improvement, just steady so you do not risk injury through the activity. Just be sure to warm up, stretch before AND AFTER every run, it might look daft but it will help your muscles relax and be ready for next session. Also make sure you rest properly (Decent sleep) to help you repair. It might only be 10k to some people but each person is different, just take your time and do your best to enjoy it.

And get some decent footwear its the only thing that connects you to the ground.

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Thought i would give a quick update, first of all i went to our local Asics shop and have been properly fitted for new trainers, and i have also put the Nike + app on my phone.
I have had a couple of runs so far, 3k and 4k and felt okay after both runs but unfortunately i am now suffering with the dreaded man flu so will have to have a few days break.
I have also been on the website to Register for the great manchester run and was surprised to see the entry fee is £38,is this a bit steep or is that the going rate ?.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
£38 is normal for an 'event'. If you look for a race organised by a local running club it is usually in the £12 to £15 range for a 10k. Runnersworld.co.uk has a good event search engine.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thought i would give a quick update, first of all i went to our local Asics shop and have been properly fitted for new trainers, and i have also put the Nike + app on my phone.
I have had a couple of runs so far, 3k and 4k and felt okay after both runs but unfortunately i am now suffering with the dreaded man flu so will have to have a few days break.
I have also been on the website to Register for the great manchester run and was surprised to see the entry fee is £38,is this a bit steep or is that the going rate ?.

Robbing manc gets.:)

Had a flyer through this morning for a 10k in Sefton park at the end of April.

Look up merseyraces.co.uk

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All,
After 10 years of having trouble with my knees ( work related ) last year i changed my job in work and have now found myself practically pain free in the knee area,i am no longer wearing patella bands just to get around the golf course and recently decided to give the gym a go in order to lose some weight and regain some fitness.

The other night my son suggested going for a run which bearing in mind the last time i went running was probably around 15 years ago i was a bit apprehensive, anyway being the fool i am i went out and managed just over 3k with just one little breather, i realise that in the grand scheme of things that it is no great distance but i was fairly happy with myself.
Now here is my dilemma, my brother has signed up for the Great Manchester run 10k in May and is doing it for the Charity Multiple Sclerosis as my sister suffers from it, so will i be able to go out and train myself to do this distance by May ???.

Any thoughts or advice on how to achieve this goal are welcome, by the way i am 56 years old and not at the greatest level of fitness.

Make sure you get the correct footwear if you are doing a lot of running on roads or pavements or your knees will suffer again. I went on a fitness regime about 10 years ago when I was over 17 stone and in my late forties and thought that any old trainer would do but after a few weeks my knees were killing me. Changed my footwear and the knees were almost back to normal.

Managed to complete two Great North Run's in just over 2 hours each but on the second one in 2005, four runners passed away so I decided to concentrate on golf.