Bunkerless golf courses...

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Morning all,

Just writing something about Royal Ashdown, one of two bunkerless courses near me along with Piltdown, while my home club at Crowborough has precious few until a mad rush on 18 (only 3 in the first 10 holes certainly).

Got me wondering about how many more bunkerless courses there might be out there - I know about Woodford, Painswick, Wimbledon Common, Berkhamsted, Braemar, Windermere and Kington - but are there others?

Over to you knowledgeable folk from all around the country...

P.S. Must be totally bunkerless to count!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The Old course at St Andrews...................well I didnt see any:cool:

seriously though it's never occurred to me there are courses with no bunkers

D

Deleted member 1147

I've never played it but I believe there is a course at Chatsworth House with no bunkers

D

Deleted member 17920

Only one in Lincolnshire and its Horncastle.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A course with no bunkers you say, where do I sign up? :D

I don't think I have played any with no bunkers, Brailles (now Feldon Valley) only has (or at least had) 4 or 5 but that is the best I can do.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here is an interesting one for you ..........Rushmore Park GC , 18 holes , 9 in Dorset and 9 holes in Wiltshire ,....no bunkers in Wiltshire part of the course ......also has a tree just to the right of one hole about 40 yards down with lots of balls embedded in it ...........EYG

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Here is an interesting one for you ..........Rushmore Park GC , 18 holes , 9 in Dorset and 9 holes in Wiltshire ,....no bunkers in Wiltshire part of the course ......also has a tree just to the right of one hole about 40 yards down with lots of balls embedded in it ...........EYG

Definitely currently top of the list of courses that have nine holes in each of two counties, with one of the counties bunkerless... any other contenders for that one?

Seriously though, I was just interested to try and gauge how many there might be nationwide as I had previously assumed the courses on the Ashdown Forest to be a bit of a one-off, but that's clearly not the case.

Wonder if we might get to as many as 100?

D

Deleted member 1418

Remember that London Scottish GC and Wimbledon Common GC share the same, bunkerless course! Pretty unique then that two clubs share the same bunkerless course..............and also have to wear 'pillar box red' tops to differentiate the golfers from other users of the Common!

Loved my time as a member of London Scottish!

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remember that London Scottish GC and Wimbledon Common GC share the same, bunkerless course! Pretty unique then that two clubs share the same bunkerless course..............and also have to wear 'pillar box red' tops to differentiate the golfers from other users of the Common!

Loved my time as a member of London Scottish!

I wonder if any of these courses has a practice area with a bunker , otherwise it be cigar time everytime they played away lol ...........EYG

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wonder if any of these courses has a practice area with a bunker , otherwise it be cigar time everytime they played away lol ...........EYG

As far as I'm aware neither club did. Certainly at Wimbledon Common we didn't. To be honest I played regularly enough elsewhere to get a basic technique to stop Hamlet moments at most places

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My local public course, Barshaw, has no bunkers. Apparently they were filled in during the 2nd world war to make if more difficult for the enemy to pinpoint where they were! Council never got round replacing them.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I am sure it was said that Kiawah Island had no bunkers just waste areas?

I am sure that I have played some but I am struggling to recall them!

Wooler Golf Club or locally known as Royal Doddington GC is one off the top of my head