Bump the hips to start the downswing!

Kevblue

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone have a successful drill etc to help me start the downswing with the hips?

It's certainly not easy!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My pro got me thinking that the left knee and the hands at the top were connected by string and the knee moving left pulls the hands down - it's worked for me

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure I slide too much.

Tried cutting it down without much success tbh. Just went back to my old move.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Pretty sure I slide too much.

Tried cutting it down without much success tbh. Just went back to my old move.

Try what it shows in that video. Put your hands across your chest, turn your shoulder, then hold it and try and turn your hips independently. Keep doing that until it stops feeling awkward.

Kevblue

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My pro got me thinking that the left knee and the hands at the top were connected by string and the knee moving left pulls the hands down - it's worked for me

Does this move have you naturally dropping the club into the "slot"?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally, i try and think what my weight is doing as opposed to body parts now.

As my arms reach the top I like to feel my weight move into my lead foot. This drops my arms with no conscious effort.

From there in I can turn as hard as I like into the ball.

Kevblue

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally, i try and think what my weight is doing as opposed to body parts now.

As my arms reach the top I like to feel my weight move into my lead foot. This drops my arms with no conscious effort.

From there in I can turn as hard as I like into the ball.

This is what i am aiming to achieve. The arms/club dropping into the slot automatically with no conscious effort from me.

I'm hoping it will improve my ball striking further!

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been working on rotating the lower body more, and as part of that, my pro has got me lifting the left heel slightly in the backswing. Not a popular idea from what I've read but it works for Bubba!

This way, it's almost a stamp down of the left heel that initiates my downswing and that naturally starts rotation of the hips. From then it's just a thought of rotation and clearing the left hip and it works for me. Really helps move the bottom of the swing forward with the irons to get a good ball first contact as well I've found.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been working on rotating the lower body more, and as part of that, my pro has got me lifting the left heel slightly in the backswing. Not a popular idea from what I've read but it works for Bubba!

This way, it's almost a stamp down of the left heel that initiates my downswing and that naturally starts rotation of the hips. From then it's just a thought of rotation and clearing the left hip and it works for me. Really helps move the bottom of the swing forward with the irons to get a good ball first contact as well I've found.

Also popular with Tom Watson :thup:

.... He's won a few things in his time :D

S

Snelly

See also Jack Nicklaus - he had a pronounced stamp with his left foot.

I was thinking about my left hip when swinging recently during a round. Completely messed me up. During the second round in the afternoon, I focused on thinking of nothing, just taking a stance and hitting the ball. Worked like a dream.

Sam Snead was a big advocate of having zero swing thoughts in your head when you hit the ball and on balance, I am in this camp.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last edited: