Bulb energy

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I got a bill from Bulb with estimated readings several months ago, and when I called they said thay had a new billing system. Since then all my bills have been actual readings from the smart meter. Is it possible customers are being moved to the new system in phases?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got a bill from Bulb with estimated readings several months ago, and when I called they said thay had a new billing system. Since then all my bills have been actual readings from the smart meter. Is it possible customers are being moved to the new system in phases?

Bulb is being sold to octupus I believe

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok thanks.
As a Bulb customer, I think Octopus would be my preferred new supplier, so fingers crossed.

I honestly don't think there is a better supplier on the market.

I've been with them 2 years now I think it is but never had an major issue and any minor ones it's just an email which they sort out in a day or two

I certainly trust them more than I trusted any of the "big 6"

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was switched to Octopus from Avro when they went under. I was in the middle of a botched smart meter conversion which Avro couldn't sort out. Octopus took over and sorted it within days. A small positive balance was transferred across and held in credit until I decided to put it towards my Octopus account but Octopus hadn't pressured me. They have also matched my payment to my expected usage and suggested a reduction but I have decided to leave it pro tem. The few contacts I have had were friendly and helpful. Excellent IMO.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair, Bulb has also always been a good supplier. A few years ago I heard great things about Octopus and looked into switching, but they were no more competitive than Bulb, so I stayed with a known good operator.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair, Bulb has also always been a good supplier. A few years ago I heard great things about Octopus and looked into switching, but they were no more competitive than Bulb, so I stayed with a known good operator.
They may have had good customer service and good prices but they seemingly fell short on forward planning. Perhaps the absence of hedging costs kept the prices down?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

I've been with them 2 years now I think it is but never had an major issue and any minor ones it's just an email which they sort out in a day or two

I certainly trust them more than I trusted any of the "big 6"
I had one issue when they installed my smart meter. It went from 0 to 999997 or something, a week before billing. Basically, it must have gone a step backwards but obviously has shown a lot forward. My bill was like £13k with the DD supposed to go out a week after that.
I emailed customer service, but also googled the founder (Hayden), found out their email structure and emailed him directly, in a nice way. They got out of them way to sort it.

Many years ago I had a similar severe issue with BG about a property we moved in and a meter that didn’t exist. They went out of their way to fine us, switch us off, put threatening notices through the letter box.

EDF was good in service but high estimates. I guess smart meters reign them in a bit.

Scottish Power was a good provider in the previous property, happy using them again. Bulb was just cheaper, we got £50 for being referred and £50 for referring someone straight after ;-)

I give anyone they move us to a chance, but not British Gas.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Latest update on the October price cap increase makes pretty grim reading, it’s now estimated to be up by 78% and the January increase is now looking larger than the 4% previously estimated.

D-S

Visit site
If you are with a company that guarantees that all your energy comes from renewable source, how can they justify increasing the price to the same level as fossil fuel derived energy? The price of gas fired electricity has, of course, increased due to tensions in the gas supply chain. This is not the case for renewables. Are they just going to say that renewable prices will keep on simply matching fossil prices as they continue to spiral upwards due to increasing supply constraints?So why bother going with a green energy company?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are with a company that guarantees that all your energy comes from renewable source, how can they justify increasing the price to the same level as fossil fuel derived energy? The price of gas fired electricity has, of course, increased due to tensions in the gas supply chain. This is not the case for renewables. Are they just going to say that renewable prices will keep on simply matching fossil prices as they continue to spiral upwards due to increasing supply constraints?So why bother going with a green energy company?

Going with a green company is to mainly do what you can.. it reality it just makes someone feel better

The same electric comes down the wires , just your company claim it to be green because they source all their electric from renewables

The cost stays the same as the rest as it's a global market

The only way you can guarantee green electric to your house and have a cost that's the same is generating your own with wind or solar

Other than that it's in reality carbon offsetting

https://greenworld.org.uk/article/e...green prices rising,supply, the price goes up.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
they beg the government to underwrite their purchase to the tune of £1bn

They are doing the correct thing

Right now bulb is costing the tax payer 2 billion, and energy prices aren't being hedged

They are underwriting the deal by 1 billion but it's to be paid back

So it's either kept going as it is as an endless cost to tax payer with no forward investment in the energy hedging or a loan that's repayable

It's cheaper to give Octopus 1 billion .. even if they didn't pay it back!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are doing the correct thing

Right now bulb is costing the tax payer 2 billion, and energy prices aren't being hedged

They are underwriting the deal by 1 billion but it's to be paid back

So it's either kept going as it is as an endless cost to tax payer with no forward investment in the energy hedging or a loan that's repayable

It's cheaper to give Octopus 1 billion .. even if they didn't pay it back!

Utterly ludicrous situation that that could ever be considered the right thing, better not post what i really think as dont want fraggering!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Utterly ludicrous situation that that could ever be considered the right thing, better not post what i really think as dont want fraggering!

Best thing for the customers of bulb tho, which is a lot

If they fail we end up paying more in the standing charge to cover the cost to energy companies having to take these customers on

If bulb go that's a lot of customers! However if octopus take them on and start hedging their electric costs then that's potential for cheaper energy for a lot of people

We all can't afford bulb to go, that's why it was put in gov measured and not let to go bust there is just too many of em