British Airways Luggage

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have been looking into the luggage allowances for BA flights to the US. Apart from the one 23Kg suitcase, I can take some sports equipment too. One golf bag per person, containing 14 clubs, one pr shoes, and 12 balls. Nothing else. It is all a bit precise isn't it. If I want to buy a new stick, then I either have to take 13, or leave one behind. (the evil treacherous 3 iron is top of the list). If I use up my dozen balls, I can only bring 12 back, so I will have to abandon any spares I might acquire. (I will sneak them into my suitcase when no one is looking). also doesn't mention how many tees I am allowed. To be safe, I shall guess it is a dozen only.

When I flew Air France to Argentina, I could take any number of clubs, balls, hats, shoes, umbrellas etc. The only downside was it cost me £27 each way. I could also split up my ridiculously heavy suitcase into two more manageable ones without paying BAs wopping surcharge (£127 if I remember correctly).

Any experience of different Airlines, as I am not convinced I will fly either of these again.

I always fly virgin to HongKong, but that is without the sticks, so not sure what would happen if I took them.

Easy jet used to take golfbags for free, as did Delta, without any silly limits on what you put in the bag.

BA look like they fly bikes for free too. When I flew Delta to LA, they were free, but came out of the luggage allowance of 20Kg. Now my bike is 14Kg, so not much room for clothes or shoes.

Be nice if all this was standardised, so there was no confusion at check in.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I flew recently with BA, the main reason was because they were one of the few airlines to fly clubs for free.
One word of warning to potential passengers is that they are so strict about the new baggage rules. They used to waiver the odd kg or so but the lady who checked me in said they now have new orders to charge everyone excess baggage and they are not going to be allowed to just let people get away with it anymore. My advice is to a leave bit of spare weight in case you buy anything when you get out there - or wear or your clothes like a michelin man! I doubt they will be counting every club or ball though.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes, I got the impression that they were getting a bit uppity with the weight of baggage last week. My wife flew out early, and was treated a bit shabbily by the check out staff because her bag was approaching the 20Kg limit. This is interesting, because until September, the BA limit for hold baggage is 25Kg. It looks as though check in staff may be trying to enforce the new limits early. Sneaky.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My wife flew out early, and was treated a bit shabbily by the check out staff because her bag was approaching the 20Kg limit

You mean they still gave her a hard time even though she was *under* the limit??