Britain's best views

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Billed as the “best view in England” Sutton Bank on the edge of the North Yorkshire moors, is pretty decent

But is it the best?

We were there a couple of weeks ago and Susan Calman was filming for her “grand Day Out” series.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
View of the Isle of Rum from the summit of the easy to ascend Bruach na Frithe on the Cuillin ridge on Skye.
Not forgetting the view of the ridge.
On Rum itself any view from the single track road.
The Paps of Jura on the Isle of Jura and a mountain bike ride up the single track road to the north of the island and the Corryvreckan whirlpool.

As for some debate about Cape Wrath I didn't take the minibus. I put my bike on the small boat and cycled there seeing the most dramatic cliffs in Britain.

Should you want a spectacular view of our galaxy, then the Galloway International Dark Sky Park or from the Cambrian Mountains in Wales.

That must have been a tough cycle ride to the Cape not the best road?

I live in Shetland and where there are some of the highest sea cliffs in Europe,fantastic walks/views

It’s funny how we view things different but the cliffs at the Cape were not as dramatic as the views I’ve seen around Shetland.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fantastic.
Smaller ship to get into the tighter ports.
Went to the shetlands also that was really nice.
We had very nice weather so that was a bonus.
I would highly recommend it.

You should have jumped ship and I would have took you for a round? Glad you enjoyed Shetland.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes we did it was a lovely day and a beautiful place ,your a lucky to live somewhere like that.

It is a good place to live but if I had a choice to be a member at our course which have some spectacular views ( my avatar is a photo of our 16th tee when the Ryder Cup came here) or a parkland/moorland course down south I would not hesitate to choose the Parkland / moorland course ?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fingers crossed for you, I always think the forecasts are “best guesses” up there…. I’ve been at my MILs at Bothel and it’s rained all day, a few miles away in Prospect the SIL has had bright sunshine all day!

Agree about best guesses and things change very quickly, unfortunately the rain started as we set off on the bike ride at 6:30 a.m. and didn't let up until after we had started the walk, then thick cloud on the fell tops, ah well, at least they got the lack of wind right (y):ROFLMAO:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of a very privileged few if you've seen this view. Probably the most little-visited place in the UK & one of the most difficult to get to. Weather like this is required if staying overnight in the Bay. St Kilda
4a2ba0_288dbf5b6eca494a83a0d070e3e1321a.webp

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of a very privileged few if you've seen this view. Probably the most little-visited place in the UK & one of the most difficult to get to. Weather like this is required if staying overnight in the Bay. St Kilda

That’s a great photo, I was lucky to go ashore there when we were fishing close by, had a good walk around and got letter stamped at the post office?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That’s a great photo, I was lucky to go ashore there when we were fishing close by, had a good walk around and got letter stamped at the post office?
Oh yes..... the postal stamp.
At Easter 1980 we were very nearly the 'first yacht of the season to make it out there.... beaten by just 2 hrs from a solo German sailor. However, had my 'most remote' frame of snooker in the Privates Mess & with the German guy, invited to have breakfast with the only Officer there.
Won't happen nowadays as larger, quicker yachts, given the weather, can do it easily, out & back, in a day...... so becoming much more 'common place', though still a Yacht-man 'British waters Everest'

Last edited:

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One I expect no one else on here will have, from Bury lane car park on the Ridgeway at West Ilsley, grew up within a 2 miles of it, you can almost see oxford and it just feels like home to me. I know every track and path round there for miles, love the place!

Another niche Oxford view - there was a thread on this a few years back on an OUFC forum and someone came up with "The view from the Stokenchurch Cut as you come down the hill". It's how we know we're home :)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh yes..... the postal stamp.
At Easter 1980 we were very nearly the 'first yacht of the season to make it out there.... beaten by just 2 hrs from a solo German sailor. However, had my 'most remote' frame of snooker in the Privates Mess & with the German guy, invited to have breakfast with the only Officer there.
Won't happen nowadays as larger, quicker yachts, given the weather, can do it easily, out & back, in a day...... so becoming much more 'common place', though still a Yacht-man 'British waters Everest'

Respect to you going to St Kilda that time of year is not for the faint hearted ?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Respect to you going to St Kilda that time of year is not for the faint hearted ?
Yet the original inhabitants made a living from sheep and collecting seagull's eggs by abseiling off the precipitous cliffs.
Lighting a bonfire or putting a message in a bottle was their only means of sending for help when seas were too rough.
When they abandoned the island and resettled on the mainland some actually found life there difficult.
People were very tough and resilient in those days.