Breakdown firms.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi ,

My AA membership is due at the end of Jan , I know there are a lot cheaper ones out there , but can any one recommend good cheap ones that would include home start and would be for me and my better half. Good or bad examples of firms would be helpful.

Also any one use these companies where you pay for the repair and then claim back ?

Cheers

Midnight...

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi. I've used RAC, AA, Greenflag and GEM (insurance-type)
http://www.motoringassist.com/home.aspx

GEM "repayed" my costs (every last penny) when my head gasket went on the M5. Couldn't fault the service from start to finish. However, I paid out quite a lot (on C/C) and the event itself was quite a hassle.
The other 3 are regular plans.

I stick with the RAC year on year despite not needing them for ages. It's expensive (considering the level of breakdowns these days) but as they spend over 90p of every £1 they take in premiums on their service(s) I can live with the cost.
I was rescued more than once by AA and G_F, both relayed me long distance and never had any cause to complain.

Maybe you should trawl the internet for customer service reviews.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was relayed home twice by Greenflag, on both occasions the driver/mechanic never even looked under the bonnet or asked what was wrong they just towed me home and left me. I'm an RAC member now.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
over the years I've had RAC, AA and GreenFlag. the last either as part of my insurance or with the bank account.
Currently AA also as part of the bank account, so don't pay them anything.

Don't think there's much to choose between them, in some areas there's a better coverage by one, in another area it differs.

Off the wall idea, but the local plod could probably tell you who's good where you are.