Boxing/UFC 2018-24

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Excuse me but since when were you given the authority and right to tell people what they can and can’t say and what subject they are allowed to talk about. Until that point I would suggest you wind your neck in and allow people their own opinion

And yes I believe the sport is shocking and disgraceful- the actions of some of their biggest stars are disgraceful and should result in them banned for life - would be happier to see the sport banned , it does nothing but encourage violence as can be seen with the scenes before the fight , during and after including the fighters themselves

As for McGregor who you appear to absolve blame

McGregor;
- Jumped fence and went after Aldo.
- Threw bottles at Diaz.
- Jumped fence at friends fight, interrupting an injured opponent from receiving medical attention, attacks referee.
- Attacks a bus with his whole team, nearly blinds someone. (keeps two belts that technically he doesn't really hold and has never defended)

Some of the stuff he says is shocking , aiming kicks at his opponent during the weigh in. People have already died doing the sport and the way they act before the fights it won’t be long until people are murdered

Even the guy running the sport is embarrassed by it all

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/45775609
Massively over the top as usual, someone is going to get murdered during a UFC fight 😂 Do you feel the same about boxing?

The scenes at the end were disgraceful, and it will be interesting to see what UFC hands down in terms of bans etc. Especially as they’ll have one eye on a rematch and maximising revenue.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

This is another good angle of the incident, shows the timeline of events clearly:

Khabib jumps the cage
Jumps feet first at and scraps with Dillon Danis
Conor jumps on the cage and throws a water bottle towards Khabib
Conor then throws a punch at one of Khabib's corner men and climbs down
A dude in black shirt then jumps the cage behind Conor and proceeds to attack Conor from the front
Guy in red follows and attacks Conor from behind sucker-punching him

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who is the dude in the red shirt?

What were the pay packets for this? Iv seen only McGregor has been paid, is that right ?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who is the dude in the red shirt?

What were the pay packets for this? Iv seen only McGregor has been paid, is that right ?

I don't know the figures but the last I saw online, McGregor has been paid but Khalib's money has been witheld pending an investigation by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Figures won't be released for a couple of weeks. McGregor will also receive an undisclosed amount of the PPV revenue and under-the-table payment from the UFC. I'd expect he will walk away with upwards of $30m for last night, which, for an MMA fighter is a remarkable sum given where we were as a sport 5 years ago.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
GSP would be awesome, man I'd love to see that. Reckon they're both tough fights for Khabib - GSP probably the more difficult style match-up of the two. GSP looked spectacular against Bisping.

really? Khabib would destroy GSP of nowadays for me (maybe not 5 years agos model). Ferguson def be a better fight for me (albeit could look similar to last nights)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
really? Khabib would destroy GSP of nowadays for me (maybe not 5 years agos model). Ferguson def be a better fight for me (albeit could look similar to last nights)

GSP pieced everything together beautifully against Bisping, that was so one-sided. I think stylistically he matches up great with Khabib. He's rangy, has a brilliant jab, sound defence, and most importantly is a part of the Danaher Death Squad so will be aware of how to combat Khabib's leg-control on the ground (which is a vital tool in his arsenal) and I think will be able to out-grapple Khabib. Georges is training with absolute killers like Gordon Ryan and Garry Tonon on a regular basis under the tutelage of Danaher, those guys are better grapplers than Khabib - especially Ryan who's possibly the most exciting Jiu Jitsu practitioner in the world right now - and Georges is able to hang with those guys, Khabib wouldn't have anything that GSP hasn't seen before. I think it'd be an awesome fight.

I think Ferguson matches well with Khabib as well though, and I think Kevin Lee could be a contender eventually as well, that guy is a stud. He beat up Barboza worse than even Khabib did, that was brutal. Only problem for Lee is the weight - such a shame 165 hasn't been brought in yet, that could be Kevin Lee's division. The UFC weight categories should go - 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 205, 225, 265 I think.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Found a few interesting snippets on Twitter tonight.

One of the two men that jumped the cage to attack Conor. Seems like a nice guy. How does he get into the US? And why are the UFC not background checking these guys before they sign them?

Khabib and his crew have previous with this kind of thing. About 2 mins in you can see Khabib brawling with Nate Diaz at a WSOF event in 2015:

They also did the same thing at PFL 7 six weeks ago. Attacked the cornermen of Saidyokub immediately after the fight in which Omar Nurmagomedov defeated Said.

Oh, and here's the background on what Conor was talking about when talking about Khabib's manager:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rubbish, there’s plenty footage from fans phones showing quite clearly McGregor swinging a punch at someone, long before the 2 corner guys had a go at him never mind the guy in the red top that climbed the cage and smacked him.
While I don’t agree with They done McGregor is far from the innocent victim here.

Yep, I've seen loads of different footage and CM gives a fella a cheap shot before he's set upon. The guy is scum, no wonder he isn't pressing charges as he started the scuffle inside the ring.

U

User62651

Whilst the fight itself is brutally real enough, not sure how much of the 'other stuff' is real and how much is just ticket selling panto - to make the big bucks (as McGregor so excellently does) to sell reputations/images and the next fights or rematches tickets/PPV.
Nothing like a bit of controversy or needle to sell tickets but that's modern sports marketing.
McGregor has had a great run, what do the experts thing he should do? 2 consecutive losses (inc boxing) and the 'brand' gets weakened.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
MMA's different from boxing, losses don't mean as much as guys in MMA are constantly fighting the best of the best so I don't see the brand being weakened at all.
I think Conor fights the winner of Nate Diaz-Dustin Poirier for a newly formed 165lb belt next. Either that or he fights Ferguson for the 155lb belt should Khabib end up being suspended for a year or longer - which, if that is the case the UFC will strip him.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The promoters have probably not stopped dancing for joy yet. Huge publicity, on all mainstream news channels as well as the sports ones. It has made normal news, not just MMA news. Did you ever hear Eddie Hearn when Froch, Haye or any other revolting trash talkers were behaving like McGregor. He would just stand in the background grinning and adding up the extra ppv. Next time up, more will watch the other guy to see what kicks off, people will watch McGregor to see if he can get redemption. Kerching all round. Cynical, moi?

D

Deleted member 15344

I think this time though it’s taken that step too far - it was bad enough when McGregor was going through his disgusting list of insults even then stepped up to physical violence outside the ring and what happened Saturday was going to happen at some point. The Nevada Sporting commission have got involved now and you would expect licenses to be revoked with threats to the sport to sort out the disgraceful scenes

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The promoters have probably not stopped dancing for joy yet. Huge publicity, on all mainstream news channels as well as the sports ones. It has made normal news, not just MMA news. Did you ever hear Eddie Hearn when Froch, Haye or any other revolting trash talkers were behaving like McGregor. He would just stand in the background grinning and adding up the extra ppv. Next time up, more will watch the other guy to see what kicks off, people will watch McGregor to see if he can get redemption. Kerching all round. Cynical, moi?

Absolutely. Dana will have been annoyed last night after getting a telling off from the commission for what happened but he'll be loving it in a few weeks time when he sees the numbers. He was fuming after the bus incident and even went as far as to say he might not ever work with Conor McGregor again. Fast forward 6 months and it's used as a key part of their promotional material. That's how this stuff works, just like how it was used to promote Muhammad Ali, and how Mike Tyson's brand grew after the brawl following the Ruddock and Lewis fights, this stuff feeds combat sports promotion.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that Conor's pre-fight talking was "revolting" or "disgusting" though. He may have crossed a couple of boundaries a few times but a lot of the stuff he was saying, the stuff that really got under Khabib's skin was fact. The things he was saying about Khabib's terrorist rat of a manager, the things he said about Khabib's father and his team-mates were all true. Conor's no angel but Khabib and his crew are legit scumbags, as was proven on Saturday night. A lot of them are convicted criminals, his manager has terrorist links and multiple criminal charges to his name, they're awful people and absolutely deserved the things Conor was saying about them to be released to the public. They also have previous doing this sort of stuff - they did it 6 weeks ago to the team of another fighter in Chicago and one of the guys arrested last night is still under investigation for assault following that incident, they attacked Jake Shields' team at a WSOF event. They're scumbags, they're the ones that are revolting and disgusting individuals.