Boxing/UFC 2018-24

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
I burst my eardrum as a kid. Hurts like hell and your balance goes for a few days. If that is what happened to Wilder then he has been unlucky. It's the equivalent, or worse, to breaking a hand during a fight, you are definitely restricted.

The writing was already on the wall. He was getting battered and had been put down before the bleeding from the ear. Luck didn’t come into it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He's called for Wilder before several times then come talk time to put it together the excuses roll out and end up against a weaker opponent.

I'd like to see it happen but can't see it anytime soon.

Only way it happens is if Fury smashes Wilder again, then AJ will start to think he is easy pickings and Wilder has nowhere else to go.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
The blue print to take down Wilder has been written.

AJ was a come forward fighter up to Ruiz first fight and was decked. Then in the second fight was a jab at distance fighter. So against Tyson what does he do? Either style, Tyson does it better.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best fight will be AJ vs Fury, they are the best and dedicated in the division at present. They have to fight, no other fight is of value.
After that is determined any challenger must beat that loser to get a shot. So Whyte will have to wait, Ruiz will have to get serious and face whyte or wilder before having another shot at the loser of the AJ vs Fury fight.
If you don’t follow that road map you get too many big payouts to nearly men, and the hunger to achieve is not met.
But that’s just my opinion so it’s either right or wrong.

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
Usyk is a great fighter and has moved up. I just don’t know whether he is big enough? Heavyweights just seem to be getting bigger and bigger making it harder for Cruiserweights loving up.

U

User62651

Instead of talk of unifying the belts maybe they should look beyond that and question why there are still 4 belts in the first place, in most any other sport that would be seen as complete nonsense. Money making nonsense for all these different bodies and way too many fighters calling themselves world champions and avoiding other better world champions. Too many weight categories as well - 1 stone gaps instead of 1/2 stone gaps should be enough. Mandatory defences within 6 months or lose your belt. Someone needs to take a grip of that whole situation. THink i'm right in saying MMA just has one belt per weight category.

For Fury change of coach and upping of weight and a front foot approach from first fight made a massive difference - showed Wilder up as a one dimensional brawler and not a boxer. That's not to say in a 3rd fight that Wilder couldn't win, always dangerous.

I think Fury will take a couple more big paydays and maybe call it quits. Hope he fights again soon though, I don't think long gaps between fights are any good for him. Clearly in great shape presently. Summer fight v Joshua would be perfect.

Interested to read older comments from George Foreman saying there's no way he'd have been able to beat Fury, sheer physical size and reach has changed since the 1970s and Foreman was known for being brutally strong too. You wonder how Mike Tyson in his prime or Lennox Lewis would've fared against Tyson Fury. Glad I was around to watch M Tyson though, unmatched for excitement.

Problem for Fury is the lack of explosiveness to make him box office, not sure a lot of punters are bothered about the skill of defense and point scoring boxing, they just want a war. American audiences lose interest when one of theirs isn't involved. Like the Klitschko years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Congrats to my friends across the pond.

Beautiful performance. Mr. Joshua will doubtless move to the continent now and go into Sven Ottke style hiding.

As for Mr. Foreman, he's a very modest man. If there was some way of combining his 25 year old body with his 40 year old brain, I think he may have beaten anybody.

I don't like Mike Tyson against Fury--too short--but I'd definitely go with Lennox Lewis. He was a pretty big and tall champion in his own right. But that's just random speculation.
Right now, Tyson Fury is definitely the man, and I like him.

Last edited:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
After all the excitement Sunday morning, I'm genuinely surprised that this thread disappeared so quickly.

Yeah, this thread dies pretty soon after a fight finishes.

Class from Fury, dominated the fight from the first bell. The jab looked piercing and accurate, was picking him apart and sitting down on his shots. Was a bit worried about the switching of camps before the fight but looks to have paid off for him big time, big improvement. Wilder will be back though. Seen a lot of people slagging him off on Social Media saying he was never that great, which is always the case after someone loses. He's never been the most technical but boy can he punch, still one of the scariest punchers I've ever seen and a legitimate threat for anyone in the division, he hits you with a big punch and it's goodnight Irene. The shot to the ear was the beginning of the end though, Deontay was never coming back from that, his legs totally went so was fairly plain sailing for Fury from there. Still had to put him away though, and good on Wilder's corner for throwing the towel in when they did, he didn't need to get himself knocked out.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Fury should get that big payday in Wembley against Joshua before giving Wilder a rematch.

As I said in a previous post, though, Joshua avoids Fury with the same shamelessness that Sven Ottke avoided both Roy Jones and Joe Calzaghe
--who had the courage not to avoid each other.

That's was another win for the UK over America, but fighters fight. That's the main thing. No knowledgeable fan would rate Ottke over either Jones or Calzaghe.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Whilst it is more business than sport these days, I think it would be better if re-match clauses were banned.

I think Joshua should have fought his way back for a shot to regain, & same for Wilder.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bloody excited for the UFC this weekend. Izzy vs Yoel is going to be absolutely crazy and always love watching Joanna fight. Return of Sugar Sean O'Malley as well which has been a long time coming, has lost a bit of momentum after the weird ostarine situation, but excited to see him return, very talented fighter, his win over Soukhamthath was impressive.

Got some good fights coming up in the next few months. Izzy vs Yoel, Weili vs Joanna, Lee vs Oliveira, Walker vs Krylov, UFC London with Woodley vs Edwards, Ngannou vs Rozenstruik, Assuncao vs Garbrandt, Overeem vs Harris, and then we get Khabib vs Ferguson (if it happens this time), such a good run of fights.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
such a good run of fights.
It really is! The O’Mally situation still confuses me. 2 years out is significant, hope it doesn’t take its toll.

Really looking forward to this weekends card and above all, the main event. Adesanya had quite the 2019. Besting Silva, Gastelum and Whittaker. Amazingly, Romero has only one once since the flying knee in Weidman in 2016, but still ranked number 3 (a different argument is should that be at LHW). His power and engine keep him relevant though, as well as his performances (usually) despite the result. Could be a tough night for Adesanya, although I expect him to find a way to win.

The big one I think all MMA fans are looking forward to is Khabib versus Ferguson. Everything crossed that this actually goes ahead. It needs to happen so I’m hopeful this time it will. No idea who will win that, don’t really care, I just want to see it!

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great comeback performance from O’Malley. Could be a legitimate star. Hopefully they match him with a ranked opponent next, to gauge his ability a bit more.

The ladies in the co-main event provided a barn-stormer, which was an amazing watch. Zhang deserved the win I think, but hope the re-match.

Unfortunately, Adesanya vs Romero was an anti-climax after that. Adesanya did what he needed to do, fighting smartly. Be interesting what is next for him. I hope it’s a fight with Costa. Personally would rather see that than him facing Jones just yet.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
What. A. Fight. Not just one of the best female fights of all time, but one of the best fights of all-time period. Such a close fight, and I'm a big JJ fan so was really hoping she'd win, but fair play to Weili, she's fantastic. Would love to see another 5 rounds of that!

Adesanya-Yoel was pretty lacklustre, especially the first 2 rounds. Izzy did what he needed to though, got the W, still undefeated. Excited for the Costa fight, but it must be a way off, Costa looked like a HW sat at cageside, he's HUGE.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
UFC249 really going to happen on May 9th? Theyre planning cards on the 13th, 14th and 17th too. More Dana hype or actually going to happen this time?

The card for 249 is something special too!