Bluetooth Headsets, advice please?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
As much as I hate the things, I actually need one now.

Looking to spend no more than £25 quid but like everything, I want the best my budget can provide.

Auto pairing is a must
Must have rechargable battery and charger(in car aswell would be bonus)
Good battery life
Compatible with Iphone 3G(probably most are anyway)
Small and stylish too.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never managed to find one that was either comfortable to wear or anything like remotely useable, I found that I was having to drive with one hand pushing the earpiece into my ear to be able to hear anything!

My advice would be to save up and go for a Parrot or similar in car kit, I use a Bury CC9060 which is voice activated. Halfords are doing them for around £180 and I think that includes fitting!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't go for one that you have to plug in your ear. I had one some time ago and got a nasty middle ear infection. It was frightening - got up one morning and my legs just collapsed under me, had no balance at all, off work for a couple of days!

Golfmmad.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't stand the bluetooth headsets, find them a pain to use. Only ever had one decent bluetooth handsfree for the car, unfortunatly that was for my previous phone. The current bluetooth handsfree kit. is not user friendly, to the degree its as unwhealdly to use as an in ear bluetooth so simply don't bother with the phone on the move.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I very rarely use a mobile phone, but it is linked through the Tom Tom sat nav on one car and the radio in the other.
A word of warning though. Once set up, be sure to switch the phone's Bluetooth to "Hidden". Once in traffic on the M6 near Birmingham I wanted to reconnect my mobile to my Tom Tom for traffic info and the sat nav found over 150 possible phones to connect to!

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
surely once you've linked your phone to the satnave/bluetooth, then that should be that, no other readable phone should come into play, unless the TomTom works differently to other bluetooth systems.

My TomTom is quite old and although I can connect my phone its only for updates & not as a hands free option....pity.

BTW have tom tom upgraded their maps for the new units, as I've considered getting a new one & will only really consider this if I know all current new roads & roundabouts etc are on the new maps. Of course It'll be a while before I do upgrade to a new TomTom as things are tight with these new anualised hours. (but that's another story)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
surely once you've linked your phone to the satnave/bluetooth, then that should be that, no other readable phone should come into play, unless the TomTom works differently to other bluetooth systems.

My TomTom is quite old and although I can connect my phone its only for updates & not as a hands free option....pity.

BTW have tom tom upgraded their maps for the new units, as I've considered getting a new one & will only really consider this if I know all current new roads & roundabouts etc are on the new maps. Of course It'll be a while before I do upgrade to a new TomTom as things are tight with these new anualised hours. (but that's another story)

This happened while I was searching for my phone. I was in the 525 with my Bluetooth connected through the stereo, but also had my Tom Tom from the other car with me. As BMW Sat Nav doesn't have traffic info I decided to connect the Tom Tom instead. (The 525 has Traffic Master but I don't subscribe to it as it is as much use as a chocolate fireguard up here in Scotland)
My Tom Tom is the GO 700 it is pretty old, but I can update the maps on line.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This happened while I was searching for my phone. I was in the 525 with my Bluetooth connected through the stereo, but also had my Tom Tom from the other car with me. As BMW Sat Nav doesn't have traffic info I decided to connect the Tom Tom instead. (The 525 has Traffic Master but I don't subscribe to it as it is as much use as a chocolate fireguard up here in Scotland)
My Tom Tom is the GO 700 it is pretty old, but I can update the maps on line.

Mine is the original 300. Like yours its fairly old now. If I want toupdate maps I need to pay for new maps, something I'm not prepared to do. I've already apid for the maps I have, all I want is an update to the one loaded not load a new version.

Perhaps you should have linked your phone before setting off. BTW I would hope you were not driving at the time you were trying to link your phone. Otherwise I see where you are comming from, as it were.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps you should have linked your phone before setting off. BTW I would hope you were not driving at the time you were trying to link your phone. Otherwise I see where you are comming from, as it were.

I was stuck in traffic at the time (and it was my partner who was connecting the phone, Honest Officer). My phone was connected through the car's own sat nav/bluetooth at the time, but as it doesn't have Traffic Master any more, I wanted to connect my Tom Tom to my phone so I could download traffic info to my Tom Tom via WAP. That's when the Tom Tom picked up all these other mobile phones around me whilst searching for my phone.
(I tend to use the Tom Tom when I'm abroad in England, even in the car with the built in Sat Nav as it is on a CD and hasn't been updated since we bought the car in 2003).