Biting flies

Mandofred

Visit site
Holy cow....they seem to be worse on the local fields this year. I've been clearing dog walking trails a lot....I cover myself with bug spray and still have to wear jeans and a thick coat with the collar up (sweat like crazy)....and they still find a way to get me. Don't remember them being this bad. Little moth-like horrors....sometimes swelling afterwards, always itch horribly for 3-4 days.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Holy cow....they seem to be worse on the local fields this year. I've been clearing dog walking trails a lot....I cover myself with bug spray and still have to wear jeans and a thick coat with the collar up (sweat like crazy)....and they still find a way to get me. Don't remember them being this bad. Little moth-like horrors....sometimes swelling afterwards, always itch horribly for 3-4 days.
Horseflies probably. They were rampant at our course on Sunday.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I got bitten by Horseflys whilst playing golf at my course last week
Leg swelled up & itchs like crazy
It even disrupted me sleeping on the 1st night
Bloody things

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Try taking a couple of hay-fever pills if you get bitten. A friend told me to do that a few years ago, and the pain/itching seems to go away for me quite quickly.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I ended up in the out of hours doctors after getting bit last summer. Took the decision to stop wearing shorts on the golf course after that.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I ended up in the out of hours doctors after getting bit last summer. Took the decision to stop wearing shorts on the golf course after that.
Another friend of mine ended up staying in hospital for two nights after a particularly nasty horsefly bite.

Mandofred

Visit site
I know horse flies.....not the issue for me. These little buggers look like small moths....but when I'm out brushcutting I literally have 40+ of these things on my jeans and coat trying to get at me. Horseflies to me look like a regular house fly....but on steroids so a good bit larger. Heading to the Wed rollup in a while, likely put the sunscreen on before going as usual and then just spray myself down with bug juice.....a few people last week were complaining about getting bit.....so even though it seems to be late this year.....it could just be rolling into fly biting season for the course.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got bitten on my calf when walking the dogs yesterday. Nipped like hell straight away and huge swelling and redness. Took a double dose of 1 a day anti-histamine which worked like magic. Slept really well too :)

Springveldt

Visit site
Horseflies are rife at my old club (and @rudebhoy current club), I would never wear shorts on our Wednesday evening games as they would eat me alive and I was sick of having sore calves for days/weeks after the bites. I finally caved in and got some cream called Smidge from Amazon that worked well on my arms and face but the little shits started biting me through my polo shirt, I'd end up with big red welts on my back and shoulders. You can feel them biting as well, I'd be walking along and say "I've got a horsefly on my shoulder blade, haven't I?" and playing partners would be like "you've got 3 actually" and then smack my back. Anti-histamine tables are great for taking away the itching.

There was an older guy at the club who ended up in hospital due to one of the bites.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
No need to use pills just apply an anti histamine cream to the bite/sting, such as Anthisan

I tried that. Didn't work as well as the pills. Had an area the size of my fist very red, swollen and hot. A few hours after the pills and just the bite remained. Flipping things!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been getting caravan ready for Scotland trip tomorrow at bottom of thr garden and would expect to see one or two horseflies but was dozens of them today, retreated to get long trousers and long sleeves on, nasty little B's

Mandofred

Visit site
anti-h and anti-itch creams don't seem to work much with me. The anti-itch "kind of" works for just a little while. I just didn't take a chance starting today on the course.....I just carry repellent with me and have started applying it before playing. It's annoying, but not as annoying as the itch that I've had for a couple of days now.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Are those being bitten wearing shorts? Touch wood I wear long trousers and even in the rough (a common habitat at the moment) and haven't been affected
I've been bit a few times whilst wearing shorts. After the last time that was enough for me, long trousers from now on.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Are those being bitten wearing shorts? Touch wood I wear long trousers and even in the rough (a common habitat at the moment) and haven't been affected
I wear shorts for up to 8 months of the year, but I can't wear long trousers in hot weather, so I just have to take the bites.