Beware Golf Apps

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a heads up really. I use a free one for distance at my place, and last time out flew two greens as I decided to trust the distance given, whereas all summer I'd been trusting my own judgement and getting it right. This puzzled me. Then annoyed me as it cost me first place in the comp. This app has a facility to go to the courses online and enter your own distance flags. So I thought I'd check out my course. Using Google, I assume, the holes in question seemed, different somehow. Then it struck me. Bunkers were missing and the greens were smaller. I've moved the flags to show the correct, or as least as close to where I think they should be. I'm playing tomorrow. I'll see if they help.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even my Garmin GPS has a few blind spots and/or poorly mapped greens on my course. It’ll say 120 to the front when it’s clearly 150. That’s where you need a laser, even more so when you’re visiting cos you don’t know if the mapping is poor or not.

And don’t forget to use your eyes. Played with a guy once who flew a green by 50 yards cos his watch said so. We were only about 100 out ?

Boomy

Visit site
Is this a real post? So you’ve been using your own judgement all summer then completely abandon it to trust a free app and don’t realise at the time (using your own judgement which served you well all summer) that it wasn’t quite right? Even after flying the first green I’d be questioning if something didn’t add up! Then you blame the app for losing a competition?? ?

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Blaming a free app for losing a comp ?

Don't be tight and Plpay for a good one. You might win next time.

Have you contacted them about some compensayshun?

Have another ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been using Hole19 for years, I found it the most accurate when I tested a bunch of different ones back then. If some of the holes at your place have changed then yes, the apps might be out of date if they haven't remapped it yet. But you can actually contact the app makers directly and let them know they need to remap it, usually. They should welcome feedback from users that helps them keep courses up to date.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I sympathise with the thread starter completely. Although mine has been the kind of opposite way round.

First thing I did after having lessons and buying my clubs was to download a ‘decent’ golf app. Since April I have been using V1 app which I paid £30 for the year and in all honesty it has helped me immensely.

But after getting better as the summer went on i would often hit the ball sweet but be pretty far off from the pin which I put down purely to human error.

Fast forward to nearly 8 months on and I had a round last weekend with a chap who had a garmin watch. This is the only time I have ever compared distances off the tee with anyone and I was doing this because I was on to break 80 and 1 shot had me completely miffed.

Needless to say mine would be about 20 yards off his on every other hole.

It would make perfect sense that my app is not as trustworthy as I once thought and I am now in a position where I will be asking the misses for a rangefinder this Christmas.

I genuinely think had it not been for my dodgy distances on my app I would have broken 80 by now..

RichA

Visit site
Motocaddy app is free and I've yet to find a tee box, 150 or 100 yard marker that disagreed with it.