Best set of clubs - mid to high handicapper?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How long is the proverbial piece of string. There are simply so many good clubs out there these days its hard to make a subjective recommendation. If you are a member of a club I'd suggest chatting to the pro and seeing what he recommends, especially if he's seen your swing. If not go to a range and ask a pro there for some ideas. What are you looking for? Forgiveness? A smart looking club? Forged? There are so many variables. Most of the top brands like Callaway, Ping, Titleist, TM, Mizuno etc all cater for that market and if you go to any online retailer or their websites there will be detailed descriptions on what each club offers. The only advice I would offer would be try before you buy if possible

Priso766

Visit site
I have recently purchased a set of Ping G400 irons after doing a lot of research and having a custom fitting session with my club Pro. I tried a number of different manufacturers and the Ping suited my swing the best. you also get the 'try before you buy' aspect on the fitting as many use the tech to show your ball flights and stats.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The shaft is more important !
Most heads are quite similar and aimed at your level .
Ping g400 Titleist AP1 the list is endless.
But the shaft must fit you so you can hit the ball properly.
Free custom fitting will give you a good starting point
But a proper fitting will at least help your game and help you to improve without hindering your progress.
It’s worth the cost just in knowing they suit your swing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The general reply to this question is one of the Ping G Series. I have a 2nd hand set of G25's and they are great, very accomodating, very easy to use. If you want to spend more then go G30 or G400.

When I bought mine, thank you ebay, I did some research and the advice was that there was a decent leap between the G20 and G25 versions but G25 to G30 was marginal. I have not seem a comparison between G30 and G400 but the 400's look very sexy to my eye and for that alone if you have the money then go for it :D. On a more serious note I think that particular step is a decent one but perhaps not signficantly noticed by a mid to high handicapper?

All other makes are available but the Pings are consistently recommended for this type of golfer, ie me!