Best irons for a hooker!

Doodle

Visit site
I have always played with a strong grip which makes my bad shot a hook.
I have tried unsuccessfully over the years to move to a more neutral grip but I just cannot master a more neutral position for my hands.

So, a while back I started looking at the different club specs, I had always played game improvement irons mainly Ping G15 or G20.
The thing with all game improvement irons is that they all have a huge amount of offset.
So I moved to an iron with absolutely minimal offset, I now play with Ping G500's.
What a difference, I never hook now, they are long & accurate, they have changed my game so much for the better.

I also use Ping G400 woods 7 / 5 / 3 as I get great results with these.

Maybe if anyone else out there has a naturally strong grip with a tendency to hook they should look at doing something similar?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
None, a series of lessons on clubface control with a playing lesson at the end.

I had a terrible hook when I started, I got down to 12 with it and was in the process of working away from it. I still have the cause of it but working on face control and ball compression has been far better value for me than just buying new clubs.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hook the ball too and hate seeing more than a smidge of offset. You could also get fatter grips and a heavier shaft if the problem is quick hands, and get the lie flattened a bit.

Or get a couple of lessons. A neutral grip will feel horrible for a while but after 12 or 13 years you will get used to it.

petema99

Visit site
Could also try replacing the grips with something like the Plus4 which has a thicker lower part and should prevent turning the hands over as much

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the opposite problem, what I ended up doing is getting a swing trainer with moulded handle which brings me back to a neutral grip when I feel I feel that I am weakening my grip I use it a couple of times a day for a week to get my hands, arms and wrists comfortable with the neutral grip and I’m usually OK next time I’m on the course.