Best (and most forgiving) driver for a high handicapper

Goosen79

Visit site
Hi all... I would appreciate some advice. I am a high handicapper and relatively new to the game. I want to invest in a new driver to compliment my new irons - Callaway Big Bertha Irons. I would like something with a high loft and something that is as forgiving as possible. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'd say the Cobra Fly Z. Very forgiving and plenty long enough. Slightly shorter shaft which helps with control and loft adjusts between 9 - 12 degrees. Best of all £150 ish brand new.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's a nearly new Ping G series going for a bargain in the for sale section with a regular shaft. £300 in American Golf, selling mine for £250

D

Deleted member 16999

Go to your Pro, local Golf retailers (American Golf/Direct Golf etc) and try a few out on a range, see what you like or you get on with, then have look on Ebay/Gumtree, the For Sale section on here and try and pick one up cheap, different people get on with different Drivers and there are lots of bargains for slightly older clubs.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have met many golfers who have spent years trying to find the magic driver that will hit the ball straight for them.
It doesn't exist.

Sure, there are drivers out there which may suit you better than others but please don't go down the road of wasting loads of dosh in the hunt for the driver that will fix your swing.
It doesn't exist.

You'd be be better off learning how to swing properly.
If you have a decent swing, with a bit of practice you'll be able to hit nearly anything.

16 degree sldr mini driver.

That's almost the same as my 5 wood :mad:

Goosen79

Visit site
Thanks for all the helpful comments. I really appreciate it. I ended up going for a Ping G30. I picked one up for £129 secondhand (but mint condition). Hit a few balls with it yesterday and it's sweet.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot of people misunderstand what "forgiving" means in a golf club.
Even with the most forgiving driver in the world if you put a crap swing on it then the ball's not going where you want it. No driver can compensate for a bad swing.
Forgiveness, certainly in a Driver, relates to how the ball reacts when you don't hit the middle of the club face. With a forgiving club, you lose less ball speed so you get a similar outcome to hitting middle. They also reduce spin on off-centre strikes a little meaning the ball goes a little less left or right - not by much but every little helps...
Any of the current crop, even 2 - 4 years old will have this forgiveness built in - get one that looks and feels right and learn how to use it..and don't be afraid to drop it and use a 3 wood if necessary.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ive had 3 drivers that I truly felt were the most forgiving and the easiest to hit

TaylorMade Burner driver

Ping G15

Callaway X2 Hot - my current club

any other driver I feel I've had to work hard to hit