Beginner looking for coaches, can anyone help me decide between these coaches please? GASP video worth it?

AdamW

Visit site
Guy number 1 - has been coaching for years and has a video GASP system for analysis £35 (do not know if this system comes into play for my terrible level)

Guy Number 2 - Just qualified as a PGA coach earlier in the year is offering half price first lesson at £18 + GASP

Guy number 3 - Has been coaching for years with a PGA AA standard £27 no GASP or any tech system

I am at the stage at the range hitting with my irons topping + fating 95% of my balls and this is regular and just leaves me going home miserable and frustrated. Youtube + books are really not helping me.

Who would you choose out of the coaches above? Is a GASP system worth me paying the extra for? Is it best to have 2-3 lessons in a row with the same instructor instead of jumping about to different ones i assume that is what people normally do?

I do not have a lot of money to throw at this but thought it would be worth getting 2-3 lessons before rage quitting :LOL:

Do not see any benefits going to the range any more or even playing golf until i know the fundamental of the swing.

Any comments would be appreciated

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse

The important bit imo is getting a coach who you get on with and who can get a point across to you, however best you learn. Personally at your level I would want a video of the lesson, so you can get a better visual understanding of what you are doing and what the coach is trying to teach you to do. Its also far easier to then check as you progress if you are still doing so by revideoing yourself and comparing to the lesson

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If money’s tight option 2 seems the best and if you like the pro book another lesson , probably a good idea to leave 3-4 weeks between lessons to help with bedding in what your advised to do.

Good Luck.

AdamW

Visit site
If you film your swing, upload it to youtube and post a link on here, I can get you started or if you'd rather, PM me the link and I'll take a look.
I've got a fair idea already what you're doing wrong but would rather see the swing to confirm it

Thank you really appreciate your help! I will go to the driving range sat and get a video across to you :) I notice you are also from Lincolnshire which part are you from?

AdamW

Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse

The important bit imo is getting a coach who you get on with and who can get a point across to you, however best you learn. Personally at your level I would want a video of the lesson, so you can get a better visual understanding of what you are doing and what the coach is trying to teach you to do. Its also far easier to then check as you progress if you are still doing so by revideoing yourself and comparing to the lesson

Thank you for the advice did not think about using the video after to compare to myself

AdamW

Visit site
If you film your swing, upload it to youtube and post a link on here, I can get you started or if you'd rather, PM me the link and I'll take a look.
I've got a fair idea already what you're doing wrong but would rather see the swing to confirm it

Hi

This is the session from the range managed to hit them tonight by adding a forward press at the address stage.

I think the swing plane is off but not sure how to correct and what else is wrong?

Accidentally cut the very top part of the swing off in video

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've not long, well about a year, started. A big big plus for me was being able to get to the coach easily, so i'd vote for getting a coach where you play.

That way you can play, enjoy and discuss issues as they arise, easily explain what shots you struggled with and where misses went.

Raziren

Visit site
I've had lessons for years and have found a pro I really get on with. He records on his phone, uses an app and I'm happy with that. One guy had all the gear and then just compared me side by side to Robert Rock, telling me that in comparison to mr.RR I was crap. My lessons are 6 1/2 hours for £100 which I think is fair. Imo 1/2 hour is more than enough. An hour and I'd be getting bored.
One thought on the video - use the whole mat. Putting the ball in the middle makes it look like your struggling to fit onto the mat and ending up a bit squashed. The ball a bit further away will give you more room to swing.
Good luck with it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You need to look up videos on grip posture, balance and you need to work on rotation. At this stage I wouldn't confuse yourself too much with swingplane, there are more basic issues to solve (If you have the desire to solve them)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok, first of all, thanks for taking the video.
As you can imagine, there are a few areas where you can improve.
The lower body is pretty good.
It's the shoulders/arms/wrists that are letting you down.

When you have your lesson the pro will probably ask you to make the backswing and follow through a bit longer. He should also get you to hinge your wrists more
See Luke Donald below.
Note the angle between his forearm and club shaft.....90 degrees

Untitledgh.jpg

There are more issues but that will be enough to get you started.
Hope this helps