Barry Cryer

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very, very funny man, very sharp mind. A real craftsman of his art. I love listening to the likes of him, Bob Monkhouse, Ken Dodd, Eric Morcambe and so on talking through the process of gag writing.

Minor anecdote, not in Shark territory of course, many years ago we were leaving fairly central London, going back to the NW, and couldn't find the North Circular. We rolled up to some traffic lights, my dad wound his window down and asked the person in the car next to us how to get to it. It was Barry Cryer in a big Merc, fewer around back then. I was in awe of the car, my auntie in the back started to get hysterical 'it's him off the telly' she started to shriek :rolleyes:. Thankfully he ignored her, set us on the right road, gave us a friendly wave goodbye. Nice man as well as a funny one :D

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very sad news. I don't know where he lived in his latter years but I've seen him strolling along Brightons seafront a few times. Always seemed a happy chappy.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sorry to hear this. One of the true greats of British comedy and will be missed. I am sure there will be an avalanche of tributes from fellow professionals.
His obituary gives you an idea of the scope of his work.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34041501

That obituary also shows the depth of his talent; the names he worked with reads like a Who's Who of British comedy legends from a golden era. And a couple of lines in there are brilliant;

"Analysing comedy is like dissecting a frog," he once said. "Nobody laughs and the frog dies."

"I met my wife and Ronnie Corbett on the same day," he once quipped. "I tossed a coin and married her."

RIP Barry, thanks for the laughs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My heart aches a little whenever I hear we have lost such as Barry Cryer...one of these characters who was always there in the background of our life - though quite often crashing to the forefront of our hilarity. GB you Barry

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The backbone of British comedy for the last 50 years or more. A loss beyond compare in the entertainment business.
RIP Hamish - wherever you go, make 'em laugh there too.

Red devil

Visit site
The word "Legend" is scattered about too readily these days and often rests on the unworthy not for him, fully deserved. And from reading the obituaries and reminiscences of his colleagues a thoroughly nice man. RIP Baz