Bargains in Guitars and stuff.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I reckon I've been playing the guitar for about 21 years now. Been in bands and all sorts years ago and did a few open mic nights here and there for kicks and giggles but haven't owned an electric guitar and amp for ages. Last one was a Gibson Les Paul Ebony Standard, and Epiphone Spotlight quilted Maple. Both amazing guitars.

Neighbour annoyances and no time meant I had to punt it all and settle for an acoustic and it's been that way ever since. I don't know what made me go on Gumtree at the weekend but I picked up an absolute bargain. A Yamaha Pacifica 012. Basic entry level Pacifica for £20. Crazy.

Also picked up a Marshall MG50DFX solid state amp with footswitch for £60 too. The guitar needs TLC so I've gone on the prowl and bought all new hardware for it, and will swap the pickups out for Iron Gear Hot Slag to replace the bucker at the bridge. Sounds like a good pickup and for £28 you can't complain.

Changed days for guitarists these days with all the help online. Looking forward to it :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not a day goes by without me checking or ebay or Gumtree for vintage guitars.

and you are right about the interweb, you can now pull up how to play stuff in an instant... a long way from listening to records and trying to figure it out yourself.

Im more a vintage guitar type myself, and had a fair old collection back inthe 80's and 90's... all that stuffs long gone now.

but have started again in the last few years.
now have a couple of Gretsches and a fender Jaguar and a Jazzmaster, plus a couple of valve amps

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice one. I love valve amps. My uncle has a load of stuff. He tends to collect them. Mean player also, mostly blues.

My Spotlight was a 1985 model and I loved it. My ex-wife made me sell the lot of it and Royal Mail damaged the guitar in the delivery truck. Snapped the thing in two. It was a sad day.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nice one. I love valve amps. My uncle has a load of stuff. He tends to collect them. Mean player also, mostly blues.

My Spotlight was a 1985 model and I loved it. My ex-wife made me sell the lot of it and Royal Mail damaged the guitar in the delivery truck. Snapped the thing in two. It was a sad day.

yes guitars though the post is a nightmare.

my first dabble back was one of the new Gretsch electromatic semi's and when that arrived something had gone right though the box, case and the only thing that stopped whatever is was going straight though the guitar body was the bridge. Luckily for me it wasn't the chet atkins.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friend sold his Fender, purchased in the late 50's for £145, last year for 27K...
No, I don't know what model it was but it was in "played every day condition" [as he described it] complete with the mandatory cigarette burns to the neck...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A friend sold his Fender, purchased in the late 50's for £145, last year for 27K...
No, I don't know what model it was but it was in "played every day condition" [as he described it] complete with the mandatory cigarette burns to the neck...

Prob a strat.. for that sort of money.

The prices have come down a bit they were silly money a few years ago.

Stuff i like can still be brought for a few Thousand for mid 60's, though when i got all my old stuff in the 80/90 real bargains could be had.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My lead guitarist's widow still has his Fender [ pink] Strat one of the first to be imported from America back in 1958 , and refuses to sell it.

Sadly he had it refurbished by John Birch back in the 70s and may have lost some value. The serial number is 55973.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Kind of makes my wee Pacifica a little insignificant now lol

Never the less, I have ordered a few things for it.

New Mirrored pickguard
Iron Gear Iron PIG Over wound neck and middle single coil.
Iron Gear Hot Slag humbucker
Coil tap volume pot 500k and new Tone pot
New 5 way selector
New bridge system
All new screws too to clean it up.

New machine heads next but I'll see how these go after I set it up. Looking forward to the wee project.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I looked after an amp belonging to a mate, it had JHE stencilled on it and was a genuine Jimi Hendrix amp as my mate played with Noel Redding and Redding lived a mile from me. I always wondered what its value was!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still play a bit and have my gear from the 70s & 80s when I used to gig all over the shop.

PRS Customised by Chandler's In Kew
Mesa Boogie Studio 22
Fender "The Twin" (red knobs) Twin Reverb - also had an original one from '74 but sold it - and...
'71 Sunburst Strat (my pride and joy bought for me when I were reet young by my old fella)

Bitterly regret flogging my Blonde '74 Telecaster (maple fingerboard) Still wish I had it :-(

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I dabble a bit on rainy days using an Ibanez Joe Satriani JS1200CA, lovely guitar. Also still got an Ernie Ball Van Halen Musicman flame maple effect from about 1990. Neither of them were cheap when I bought them but having looked on Ebay the Van Halen model has certainly held its value. Also a few of my old Boss pedals seem to be worth a lot more than I originally paid for them.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a guitar and a saxophone, both of which I never learned to play but I do have a Yamaha Tyros 3 keyboard that I can knock out a few tunes on. I'm keen to play boogie piano though but geez it's tough!

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been playing for a year now. Just have a cheap acoustic but hoping to upgrade soon.

Can play a handful of songs but I underestimated how much time you have to put in to get to a decent standard. There's so much to learn but guess I'm lucky having the internet to show me the way!

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some excellent guitars on show here. Jealous much.

With regards to getting better, I put it close to a comment made by Peter Alliss about golf. He said that you spend a lot of time learning how to strike the ball. When you've mastered that, you then learn how to play golf. I found that I spent a long time on left hand work thinking it was the key but then suddenly once I could play without looking at my left hand, that's when I started playing better with my right. There's an amazing amount of tone and things you can do with better right hand play but for me it didn't become apparent until I sorted my left hand out.

I always played by ear, and don't know much about sheet music. Much more fun that way :)

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im just about to pull the trigger on a Tanglewood Odyssey, electro acoustic.

Played a wee bit as a lad. Really looking to get back into it.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nice one. I'm thinking of selling my Takamine Electro acoustic and getting a standard acoustic. The electros tend to have a lower output than a standard acoustic, and after playing a Taylor Big Baby, I was blown away with the sound of it compared to mine. Plugged in of course it's a different thing but only when plugged in.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pulled the trigger

70 sheets...

Bargain

YTANGLEWOOD29470b.jpg

This is not the actual one, but is the same make and style

Pick her up tonight