Balls collide not on green

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m sure there is an easy answer to this but can’t find it in the rules or here. (Perhaps using wrong search terms.)

Player 1 leaves an approach short of the green. Player 2’s approach shot hits player 1’s ball - which was stationery and not on the green.

What do you do? Anything? (And can you point me to the rule too?)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
9.6 Ball Lifted or Moved by Outside Influence
If it is known or virtually certain that an outside influence (including another player in stroke play or another ball) lifted or moved a player’s ball:
  • There is no penalty, and
  • The ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).
This applies whether or not the player’s ball has been found.

Player 1 2's ball is played as it now lies

Edit:
Oops, now corrected.

Last edited:

Steven Rules

Visit site
I’m sure there is an easy answer to this but can’t find it in the rules or here. (Perhaps using wrong search terms.)

Player 1 leaves an approach short of the green. Player 2’s approach shot hits player 1’s ball - which was stationery and not on the green.

What do you do? Anything? (And can you point me to the rule too?)
Rile 9.6. Replace the originally stationary ball back on its original spot.

Rule 11.1b. Play the ball that hit it as it lies.

salfordlad

Visit site
9.6 Ball Lifted or Moved by Outside Influence
If it is known or virtually certain that an outside influence (including another player in stroke play or another ball) lifted or moved a player’s ball:
  • There is no penalty, and
  • The ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).
This applies whether or not the player’s ball has been found.

Player 1's ball is played as it now lies
That is confusing. Ball 1 is replaced. Ball 2 is played as lies.

salfordlad

Visit site
Not confusing, perfectly clear. If you mean not fair, the only alternative would be to place ball 1 where you think it might have gone if not deflected. This would be very difficult at times & lead to arguments.
The final sentence of the post was entirely wrong. It said "Player 1's ball is played as it now lies." My post was to ensure no other reader would be mislead.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all. I realised Rulefan had made a typo on his post, but as he quoted the rule it was clear what was meant. Steven’s post confirmed.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your help.