Ball flight laws

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What are the current ball flight laws , I used to hit a draw from the tee and could put my mortgage on it, but am now hitting high fades.
I used to think that the first portion of the flight was the path of theclubhead was travelling on and then what the ball did after that was what the face was doing in the hit.
So if hitting a push draw the club was travelling from in to out with the face slightly closed to that path.

Is this still current thinking ?

I need to sort my tee game as I don't know where the ball is going, I've been too used to allowing for a draw.

D

Deleted Member 1156

What are the current ball flight laws , I used to hit a draw from the tee and could put my mortgage on it, but am now hitting high fades.
I used to think that the first portion of the flight was the path of theclubhead was travelling on and then what the ball did after that was what the face was doing in the hit.
So if hitting a push draw the club was travelling from in to out with the face slightly closed to that path.

I need to sort my tee game as I don't know where the ball is going, I've been too used to allowing for a draw.

Yeah, I'm same as you, still using the old laws. I'm not planning to change over to the new ones at the moment as the old ones are working just fine for me :thup:

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That is the way I understand it from the 'new flight laws'. If the ball starts right and curls left (for a right hander) then the line was in to out and the club face was closed. The great the angle difference the more the curve so a slight difference is a draw and a larger difference is a hook.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try this, http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

If you scroll down there is a good section at the bottom called true ball flight laws

Clearly states that a push draw is a swing path that is in to out. with a club face that is close to that of the swing path

Ie a swing path is 6* in to out
With a club face that is 3* closed to that of the swing path

The bigger the difference, the big the draw, or visa versa

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Try this, http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

If you scroll down there is a good section at the bottom called true ball flight laws

Clearly states that a push draw is a swing path that is in to out. with a club face that is close to that of the swing path

Ie a swing path is 6* in to out
With a club face that is 3* closed to that of the swing path

The bigger the difference, the big the draw, or visa versa

These are the rules I've always used. :thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Oh my days. Do you know what sort of genie you've let out of the bottle. Where's Justone???

Still here, just about.

Amazing how so many people can't understand something so simple, I guess that's why the pros taught it wrong for 50yrs.

1) The ball starts where the club face points.

2a) If a ball fades the path was to the left of of where the club face was pointing (path controls the curve).

2b) If a ball draws the path was to the right of where the club face was pointing (path controls the curve).

Examples.....

ball starts a little to the right (see 1)... it then fades (see 2a)
ball starts a little left (see 1)... it then fades (see 2a)
ball start straight (see 1)... it then draws (see 2b)
ball start straight (see 1)... it then fades (see 2a)
ball starts a little right (see 1)... it then draws (see 2b)
ball stats left (see 1)... it then hooks (see 2b)
ball starts right (see 1)... and then hooks (see 2b)
ball starts a little right (see 1) and slices off the planet (see 2a)

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Still here, just about.

Amazing how so many people can't understand something so simple, I guess that's why the pros taught it wrong for 50yrs.

1) The ball starts where the club face points.

2a) If a ball fades the path was to the left of of where the club face was pointing (path controls the curve).

2b) If a ball draws the path was to the right of where the club face was pointing (path controls the curve).

Examples.....

ball starts a little to the right (see 1)... it then fades (see 2a)
ball starts a little left (see 1)... it then fades (see 2a)
ball start straight (see 1)... it then draws (see 2b)
ball start straight (see 1)... it then fades (see 2a)
ball starts a little right (see 1)... it then draws (see 2b)
ball stats left (see 1)... it then hooks (see 2b)
ball starts right (see 1)... and then hooks (see 2b)
ball starts a little right (see 1) and slices off the planet (see 2a)

Does AoA have anything to do with shape James or is that purely down the club face/swing path relationship?

I've heard you say before hitting up on a driver with a square face could cause a slice(?)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Does AoA have anything to do with shape James or is that purely down the club face/swing path relationship?

I've heard you say before hitting up on a driver with a square face could cause a slice(?)

The angle of attack changes the path, the more down you hit the more the path moves to the right, the more up you hit the more the path moves to the left....

Hitting up on a driver moves the path to the left..... so it's possible to slice it by hitting up unless you make changes to compensate for the upwards AoA.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The angle of attack changes the path, the more down you hit the more the path moves to the right, the more up you hit the more the path moves to the left....

Hitting up on a driver moves the path to the left..... so it's possible to slice it by hitting up unless you make changes to compensate for the upwards AoA.

So the shape you hit isn't, strictly, just about the club faces relation to the swing path. The is AoA also a factor?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Gareth.

The classic - and best imo - way to think of how AofA affects things is to consider the swing as a Hula Hoop with impact being before (hitting down), at, or after (hitting up) the bottom of the arc. Depending on the actual path of the swing the face could be open, straight or closed to the path - even when the path is 'straight'.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So the shape you hit isn't, strictly, just about the club faces relation to the swing path. The is AoA also a factor?

Here are the BAKING LAWS :p

{flour(var1) + eggs(var2) + yeast(var3) = cake}

{flour(100gm) + eggs(1) + yeast(5gm)} gives you a different cake than
{flour(150gm) + eggs(2) + yeast(2gm)}

Here are the BALLFLIGHT LAWS

{face(var1) + path(var2) + spin(var3) = shot shape}

{face(2) + path(4) + spin(3000)} gives you a different shot shape than
{face(2) + path(8) + spin(3000)}

Angle of attack affects the path in the sum, in the above examples the the player hit more down so the path changed from 4 to 8, as a result the path is more to the right so the ball will draw more. Hitting UP with a driver the sum would look more like this....

{face(2) + path(-2) + spin(2500)} = shot shape

The path is to the left of the face so the ball will slice.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I had an extra jumper on today and had the pull hooks. Why isn't this covered in your laws?

It is....

{face(var1) + path(var2) + spin(var3)} = shot shape

Var1 = Grip.
Var2 = Angle of attack, ball position, gay jumper.
Var3 = Loft, spin loft, center strike, gear effect, speed.

:thup: