autumn scramble

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I was just checking the booking in howdidido and noticed there is an Autumn scramble, what is that, also the booking is different from medals were it looks like teams and no booking times, its hole 1, 1a, 2, 2a I don't know what that is

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe a scramble is where everyone on the team tees off, then you choose whose tee shot was the best, put a marker by it and all players take their second shot from that position. This process continues throughout. (I might have explained it badly.)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There's also a 'requirement' to use a certain number of each member's Tee shots - so it's not always the same player's.

Scrambles are also 'Shotgun Start' where, apart from exception as described below, all teams start at the same time - from allocated holes.

Exception: Where more than 18 teams enter, then some holes (Par 5s normally) double up (thus the 'a') with one of the groups starting a little earlier.

Fun comp that gets club members that would not normally 'associate' playing together. Every group finishes at pretty much the same time, just different mounts of walking to/from allocated hole, so social gathering/catering afterwards can be scheduled pretty accurately.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like a shot gun start is going to be used.

The 1a etc is normally used to define the number of groups on each tee.

We reckon on getting 27 to 29 groups out with a shotgun start.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's also a 'requirement' to use a certain number of each member's Tee shots - so it's not always the same player's.
I believe a scramble is where everyone on the team tees off, then you choose whose tee shot was the best, put a marker by it and all players take their second shot from that position. This process continues throughout. (I might have explained it badly.)
That is often called a Texas Scramble.
There is a format called a Florida Scramble where the player whose ball is taken for the next shot does not play that turn.

Scrambles are not always shotguns. In fact I have never played in a shotgun scramble.

PS there are many variations in the detailed rules depending on the whims of the organisers. Scrambles are not recognised by the R&A/USGA for rules purposes.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've got a fancy dress scramble on Sunday - should be great fun!
Had a team of 3, only to be let down by 1 of them, so thought that we wouldn't be able to enter.
Turns out that the club pro is playing with us, so fingers crossed for a good result.
However, I can see some of the other teams being unhappy that he is playing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Talking about Shotgun starts.

We had one for The Presidents Day.

The president wanted to actually use a shotgun. You should have seen the Club Manager's face when asked about it. He is the most health and safety conscious manager I have ever known.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The big problem with shotguns is that the course has to be empty before it can start unless it is at 6.30am or some other unearthly time.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The big problem with shotguns is that the course has to be empty before it can start unless it is at 6.30am or some other unearthly time.
The good thing is everybody arrives back in the clubhouse about the same time, a nightmare for bar staff. And the course is only tied up up for 4/5 hours.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I asked today and its exactly as described above, we all tee off same time different holes, some holes are doubled up if more than 18 and we all tee off and hit our second shot from the furthest tee shot

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I asked today and its exactly as described above, we all tee off same time different holes, some holes are doubled up if more than 18 and we all tee off and hit our second shot from the furthest tee shot
Not always the furthest tee shot Chris , depends who still has drives to use. Or you will end up having to use the worst/shortest/weaker drivers tee shots on the last few holes.
Not a problem if they all drive the ball like you mate :love:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are good for events when the sponsors want to give out the prizes after the event. Virtually everybody stays until after the prize giving.

I have watched too many prize presentations where virtually nobody stays for them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
. And the course is only tied up up for 4/5 hours.
Not really. The course is not available until the last non competitor has completed their round. It only becomes available again for the first player to play after them. Everyone later than that has to Q until they can get on the first tee.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is interesting that the Dunhill has decided to go to a shotgun start for the final round today, to avoid the bad weather.

Course availability- ours normally complete in under 4 hours but we allow a period for players to get back to the clubhouse without the risk of being hit by a ball coming from a players commencing their round after the shot gun start.

Our shotgun starts are organised such that only about 16 fewer players can play compared to a normal day and on a normal non comp Saturday or a comp day which is 4BBB we have quite a few slots that have not been booked anyway.