Australia Burns

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Awful what is going on in Australia, having been there you realise just how big the place is, but I was blown away by this graphic of what 5,900,000 Hectares looks like.
B6E07E3D-108A-4972-B8EE-B70116FAB242.jpeg

Wolf

Visit site
Its horrendous what they've been suffering for so long, its easy to not look into it or pay it much attention as its so far away and doesn't directly impact a lot of us. But I feel for them, the families suffering huge losses of life, lifestyles, homes and not to mention the wildlife.

With the resources we have within our military it would have been nice for our government to send some sort of aid in resources even if it's just personnel to assist with evacuation, medical support and marshaling safe zones for people.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Off to Brisbane to see my daughter in a few weeks. It's not too bad there at the moment, but I'm a little bit worried about all the trips we've planned around the gold coast.
I feel for the locals though, she said they're having a real tough time coping with the fires :(

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Australia is the 5th biggest coal producer in the world, after China, India, US and EU. And it exports much of it to China, Japan and S. Korea where the carbon which has been stored underground for millions of years is released into the atmosphere to further enhance global warming.
They are shooting themselves in the foot for the sake of a short term gain.
What is really depressing is that politicians are more likely to take notice of economists, conspiracy theorists and religious groups than climate scientists.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
All happening due to govt appeasement of hippies and green/eco-warriors.
Aussie farmers banned from burning off the flammable undergrowth to stop wildfires. Look what happens.

This is off Twitter,not sure how true it is.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aussie farmers banned from burning off the flammable undergrowth to stop wildfires. Look what happens.

A few of the chaps in my swindle have family and friends out there in Oz. The impression they give is that their Government has cut back on staff and fire prevention which has not helped one bit.
They also have been quite lax in involving the military to help out.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Something like half a billion animals killed so far I think I read ?.
My friends on the Mornington Peninsula say there's smoke all the way down there despite it being a few hundred miles from any fire.
Horrible.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was in Oz the same time as Beezerk Last October. I remember driving down a dual carriageway and seeing about a mile of burned trees on the rhs of the carriageway. missis T said flippin eck look here. The fire had jumped the carriageway which must of been 40 yds wide and started on the other side which was housing. It had been stopped. We were on our way to see my uncle who had retired a few years back from the fire service. He was saying he does voluntary work feeding the firefighters. He knew which fire I was on about north of pelican waters. He said some fires you just have to leave them and let the rain put them out. I didn’t know what he was on about. Till now. When you see forests running for hundreds of miles.
My lad is now back from Oz, he spent over a year working on solar farms at Darlington point and another Near Griffith. Why on Earth Australia still produces dirty brown coal when it has the weather it does is beyond me.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Off to Brisbane to see my daughter in a few weeks. It's not too bad there at the moment, but I'm a little bit worried about all the trips we've planned around the gold coast.
I feel for the locals though, she said they're having a real tough time coping with the fires :(

get yourself to the Koala sanctuary and south bank for a night out and the streets beach ?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Depends if you are type of person who believes that hippies and eco-warriors are to blame for the devastation as they have read it on twitter.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I'll get the wife to check it out, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't already on the itinerary!
The sanctuary is very hands on, it’s the closest you will get to holding Koalas, Roos, emus etc. Loved it. 30 min drive or hop on one of the boats to take you there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Terrible for tourist industry also. Saw a report from the Blue Mountains - and from the same viewpoint where we stood 6 months ago with fantastic view of the hills, forest and blue haze - nothing - just smoke. I'm thinking that the Chinese package tourists especially will feel very short changed...strikes me they only really go places where they can have their photo taken with a backdrop of a spectacular view that their chums back home will recognise :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Was in Oz the same time as Beezerk Last October. I remember driving down a dual carriageway and seeing about a mile of burned trees on the rhs of the carriageway. missis T said flippin eck look here. The fire had jumped the carriageway which must of been 40 yds wide and started on the other side which was housing. It had been stopped. We were on our way to see my uncle who had retired a few years back from the fire service. He was saying he does voluntary work feeding the firefighters. He knew which fire I was on about north of pelican waters. He said some fires you just have to leave them and let the rain put them out. I didn’t know what he was on about. Till now. When you see forests running for hundreds of miles.
My lad is now back from Oz, he spent over a year working on solar farms at Darlington point and another Near Griffith. Why on Earth Australia still produces dirty brown coal when it has the weather it does is beyond me.

And not only that - the forests are in great part incredibly dense with no tracks into them - so no way of getting to a fire - never mind bringing it under control other from the air - and that seems to me to pretty much like trying to put out a bonfire with a syringe.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its horrendous what they've been suffering for so long, its easy to not look into it or pay it much attention as its so far away and doesn't directly impact a lot of us. But I feel for them, the families suffering huge losses of life, lifestyles, homes and not to mention the wildlife.

With the resources we have within our military it would have been nice for our government to send some sort of aid in resources even if it's just personnel to assist with evacuation, medical support and marshaling safe zones for people.

pretty sure that some fleet air arm and RFA support was dispatched?

I think anyway