Are the lake balls any good?

steviehex

Hacker
Visit site
I've seen loads on eBay all good brands and mint condition but very cheap.are they any good or should I get new ones?
Thanks

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've seen loads on eBay all good brands and mint condition but very cheap.are they any good or should I get new ones?
Thanks

Personally I wouldn't and depending on your budget, plenty of mid-range balls available new. I don't think you can ever tell how long a ball has been submerged and it will affect performance depending on how long they have been under water

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would stay away from them, don't know in what way they have been refurbished etc.

You can get a dozen Supersofts for example for 15 quid, DX2 Softs or various Nike ones for the same. Last years AD333s for 18 quid.

Might even be cheaper on another website

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't and depending on your budget, plenty of mid-range balls available new. I don't think you can ever tell how long a ball has been submerged and it will affect performance depending on how long they have been under water

You make a fair point Homer. However, how many of us pick up a premium ball from the woods or long grass and use it at a later date with good results. For all you know this could have been an ex lake ball but you will never know.

Not having a go at your post Homer, just stating a fact.

I don't believe that anyone that found a premium ball in good Nick would not use it just in case it was a lake ball in a previous life.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You make a fair point Homer. However, how many of us pick up a premium ball from the woods or long grass and use it at a later date with good results. For all you know this could have been an ex lake ball but you will never know.

Not having a go at your post Homer, just stating a fact.

And I won't argue with you and to a degree it's all a lottery every time you put a pick up in play. It's impossible to tell but I guess you will after a while if the performance isn't there

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get them. Buy Pearl ones, proper brand and if you don't like them then don't buy them again. If you are someone that likes to, and is capable of, using a ball for 4 rounds then buy Pro V1's. If you are a normal golfer then they will be fine.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's been debated many times, some would never use, others use without reservation. Studies have been done on lake balls performance - look them up. Me personally I don't use them now, however I did for a long time and found no issues with performance. The fact that they were lakeballs are not the reason I don't use them. I do think you can get almost as good a value as 'pearl lake' buy buying bulk in sales