Are Memberships really value for money

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
DRW, I should of been a bit more in depth with my quote re joining two clubs. Having read some of the comments re how much ( or how little) it is to join some clubs I can totally understand that. What surprises me is how much folk are prepared to travel to play there second course. Especially when the weather is poor.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just joined Fortrose as a second club as it's a good course through the winter.
I don't get value for money as I work away half the year not including holidays / weekends away etc.
It's money I'm happy to pay though as it's my main hobby and I love getting out there.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Conversely, St Pierre (a Marriott) include membership of the Gym and second course in their membership... you can't have golf only, or Old Course only... that comes in at over £100 per month.... when we moved here I asked about "golf only" and they said they didnt do it... so I'd be paying for a gym I didnt use.... not good value then!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very sexist and degrading view in all honesty.

As worded you are absolutely right - whilst consistent with forum posting in general I should have specifically added /husbands. I did originally write partners but amended it because of the golfing connotation.

However, I stand by the underlying point (which is neither sexist nor derogatory) in that the concept of vfm is heavily subjective and gets increasingly the further you move away from extremely simple material goods.

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
I have just rejoined my old golf club as they are running a promotion (18 months for price of 12 and gym included free of charge for 18 months). It works out to be £45 per month for the 18 month period!

Will I go to the gym probably not o_O

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I feel I’m one of the lucky few,I can see my course out my bedroom window ,it’s a 5 min walk along the beach (1min drive!) and subs circa 700£ for a top links track.I play an awful lot thru the summer ,particularly in the evening and play when weather suits thru winter and the course presents a different challenge every day so happy to have it as my main course so for me it’s a massive yes regarding VFM

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm seriously contemplating giving up my membership this year. I barely play during the week now after taking up mountain biking over the summer and playing football on a Saturday morning means I'm hampered with entering some comps. Shame as I enjoy the crack but I'm just not getting any value for money at all, at the minute it seems a very expensive locker I rent out 😂

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is always going to be a value for money issue for those that work 9-5 or later. You are prohibited by work from playing during the week except for a period in summer when an evening round is possible. You are then restricted to weekend golf only but to play at the weekends you have to pay for the full 7 days. Compare that to those that do not work who can play every day in the week often for a cheaper rate if a 5 day membership is available.
I know it is supply and demand and the busiest times are more expensive but you have to wonder what impact that has on potential members, those being of working age being the most underrepresented in club memberships.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is always going to be a value for money issue for those that work 9-5 or later. You are prohibited by work from playing during the week except for a period in summer when an evening round is possible. You are then restricted to weekend golf only but to play at the weekends you have to pay for the full 7 days. Compare that to those that do not work who can play every day in the week often for a cheaper rate if a 5 day membership is available.
I know it is supply and demand and the busiest times are more expensive but you have to wonder what impact that has on potential members, those being of working age being the most underrepresented in club memberships.
The existence of 5 day members has a hugely positive impact on the potential 7 day member....just consider the necessary increase in the 7 day fees if there weren't any 5 day members (arguments that current 5 day members would stay on at 7 day rates only work where there are no viable alternatives and, realistically, were they to work at a particular course/club they wouldn't have 5 day memberships currently).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The existence of 5 day members has a hugely positive impact on the potential 7 day member....just consider the necessary increase in the 7 day fees if there weren't any 5 day members (arguments that current 5 day members would stay on at 7 day rates only work where there are no viable alternatives and, realistically, were they to work at a particular course/club they wouldn't have 5 day memberships currently).
Could look at it the other way, 7 day members pay sufficient to allow a cut price membership in the week. Works both ways. What about increasing the cost of 5 day membership to allow a cut price 2 day membership for weekends only.

D

Deleted member 15344

Could look at it the other way, 7 day members pay sufficient to allow a cut price membership in the week. Works both ways. What about increasing the cost of 5 day membership to allow a cut price 2 day membership for weekends only.

The club would lose thousands straight away - the majority of members at a golf course just play at weekends , if you offer just weekend membership then people would take it up in droves and the club would lose a significant amount of funds.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair comment, but are you a member there? Is the first hole still played across the sea if the tide's in?
I played golf in Hagley Park, Christchurch, New Zealand. Can anyone beat that for distance from home?
Were you a member there, we were members at Windsor in Christchurch for a year then Rangiora ,😁👍

Wolf

Visit site
Weekend only memberships would be the nail in the coffin for many clubs, imagine how many 7 day members would swap to the weekend only option, that would be a drop in revenue of thousands and maybe hundreds of thousands.

Standards would drop as they'd need to make budget cuts and then slowly but surely people disappear because of lower standard..

The current method of 5 day, 7 day, country , social and top up memberships are all still the most viable way of keeping revenue up, budgets on point and people happy.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the full member v restricted play member is valid and clubs should be encouraged to use these to try and drive revenue.

However in reality they should only ever have x number of 5 day members relative to full members.

Many clubs are scared to introduce 5 or 6 day membership because they will lose a load of full members and not actually be any better off - possibly worse off given that many clubs will have a high number of members who are retired and aren't even that bothered about playing in Saturday competitions or KO.

However by only allowing a set number of members in this category, they would possibly have to place people on a waiting list. I don't think having a waiting list is all that bad a thing for a golf club.

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
I pay 1k membership for a 7 day I play on average 3 rounds a week but more often than not go up and do the loop 10.11.12.13 most days as well,except Sat and Sun as I work those days not to mention putting practice or practice ground in the evening. It would be cheaper is I only had a 5 day membership but that would mean I couldn't play when I have a weekend off. Unless the course is closed due to bad weather in winter I still do at least 2 rounds plus the Golf club is 10mins from my house and a very nice course.So by my maths it cost me £6.50 a round.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of clubs offering reduced memberships for different ages

Under 35 I think at my old club is now £20 more than the 5 day normal membership but includes the access to the 7 days a week

Just looked at their pricing

Senior (waiting list for these) £395 also can’t play weekends
Junior £190
21-35 £495
5 day £475
7 day £695
6 day £595 (can’t play weekend mornings)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Phil highlights you would instantly lose some 5 day income (supply and demand) and be left with a bit of a headache on weekend mornings where your hugely increased membership literally fight for the access to the course they have paid for...

In many ways the increased proliferation of many membership options will never provide a long term solution from the club's perspective - other than operations trying to compete on price alone (which won't survive in the long term anyway, as history shows). They can, of course, work well for individuals.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get reasonable value for money as I play at a links course in Ayrshire £980 fees and I can play all year round (only really play on Sat pretty much most weeks or the odd midweek tie during the summer) 35 - 40mins drive from the house.

I also play at a municipal course in Glasgow near my house £30 membership of the club and £180 for a season ticket. that's where I play during the week after work as well.

A few of the guys there have the right Idea they pay the £210 all in for the municipal (it's a Sunday morning club) and they play open days all over the country on a Saturday and some Sundays, playing a competitive round on some nice courses for £12-£15 on some courses that charge well over £100 for a green fee. If I wasn't already a loyal member at my Saturday club I would be doing exactly the same as the guys, I only go to some open days with them, when the Saturday course is closed for certain pre entry competitions etc. but they get great value and regularly play medal rounds on loads of other courses.[/QUOTE

Small world 👍 i ve suspended my membership at your/my club for a variety of reasons. Have done for the last two seasons. The last year i played only 15 rounds. So my membership wasnt value for money. Hopefully things change for me soon as i miss the challenge of Bogside👍.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The five day membership are actually a real asset for the club and an important revenue source. If a lot decided to opt for weekend membership there would be massive holes in income and it would kill many clubs. I use the club weekdays (well every day of the week in summer) so I get full usage of my 7 day membership