Are Memberships really value for money

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
I get reasonable value for money as I play at a links course in Ayrshire £980 fees and I can play all year round (only really play on Sat pretty much most weeks or the odd midweek tie during the summer) 35 - 40mins drive from the house.

I also play at a municipal course in Glasgow near my house £30 membership of the club and £180 for a season ticket. that's where I play during the week after work as well.

A few of the guys there have the right Idea they pay the £210 all in for the municipal (it's a Sunday morning club) and they play open days all over the country on a Saturday and some Sundays, playing a competitive round on some nice courses for £12-£15 on some courses that charge well over £100 for a green fee. If I wasn't already a loyal member at my Saturday club I would be doing exactly the same as the guys, I only go to some open days with them, when the Saturday course is closed for certain pre entry competitions etc. but they get great value and regularly play medal rounds on loads of other courses.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Is this a personal payment or does his company pay it/he puts it through his books? I know quite a few people that have similar memberships at similar clubs and use the membership more as a way of offsetting agianst tax and as a business tool.

he pays it himself

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is this a personal payment or does his company pay it/he puts it through his books? I know quite a few people that have similar memberships at similar clubs and use the membership more as a way of offsetting agianst tax and as a business tool.

Just a side point, I never quite get these comments and you also see it regularly with people or companies making donations when they're vilified as it's suggested it's all a tax benefit. Even if they've put it through the books, and assuming they can take a tax deduction (which isn't necessarily the case) then they've given up a 100% of that money in order to save 40% at best. The individual is worse off than if they just paid tax unless they are using it and therefore get a discount on something they value (again subject to it being tax deductible but that's very unlikely).

ronkerr

Visit site
YES!!! (If you play enough)

Membership for me is £535/year.
I have played 37 qualifying competitions so far this year.
8 matchplay ties.
Will play around 20x over winter in winter league (usually full course, not winter greens, no mats).
I live by the course and have played around 60 additional practice rounds of 6-18 holes so far this year.
My 3 children get free membership and have each played 20+ 6-18 hole rounds.
I use the free practice chipping area/bunker/putting green around 2x/week.
I estimate the cost of all of that on a pay and play basis (full adult green fee is £35) to be well over £5000 so although I have obviously played loads I could drop to a 10th of my current frequency of play and still break even.

The value is so good I felt I should give something back and joined the committee....

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a side point, I never quite get these comments and you also see it regularly with people or companies making donations when they're vilified as it's suggested it's all a tax benefit. Even if they've put it through the books, and assuming they can take a tax deduction (which isn't necessarily the case) then they've given up a 100% of that money in order to save 40% at best. The individual is worse off than if they just paid tax unless they are using it and therefore get a discount on something they value (again subject to it being tax deductible but that's very unlikely).
Think it has something to do with "entertaining" and "advertising" allowances for companies. I think its a case of the monies efferctively being there, and if its not used its lost. I'm sure one of our more esteemed self employed or business members will enlighten and correct me where needed:)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My club is no.32 in Scotland according to one popular website. Although for me it rates far higher than some above it. The condition it is in is improving all the time.

It costs ~£700 per year. I play at least 100 rounds per year (must count them next year!) so amazing value for me.

Summer visitor fee is £105 for one round at the weekend.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In reality, the fact that this thread even exists and that some people who are keen enough golfers to post on a Golf forum are saying 'No, I'm not a member' or 'No, but I can just about make my peace with it' is a big problem.

DCB

Visit site
Interesting thread. I was a member at the same club for 28 years before I had to stop playing. Some years I played every comp on the fixture card, other years I struggled to play more than half of them. It was never a case of cost/round. Being a member was way more than that. I only hold House/Social membership now and really miss the playing side of things. If I could manage 18 holes nowadays I'd still be paying for my membership. Membership is way more than cost/round IMO.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is it value?

I paid £1200 and play 2 or 3 times a week, so maybe 120 rounds in the year, so £10 per round. Green fee is £40 if you have a 4 ball

Add in all the other benefits of being part of a club, i love competitions and we have maybe 30 a year. Matchplay events. A few swindles a week so always a game if you want to play.

Then add in the 10+ reciprocals we have, can play for free at some great courses local to us.

Practice facilities and cheap bar are nice plus too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is another course near me that does a £500 'lifestyle' membership. For that you don't get unlimited rounds, but you get tokens so you can play a certain number of times until they're used up. I thought it was a decent deal, but the deal-breaker for me was that you can only enter the monthly medals and Stablefords - not the major comps. Would feel like you were missing out on quite a bit there I think. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me one I thing value is having a CONGU handicap which a player can only get if they are a a member of an affiliated club.

This enables me to play lots of other courses at a relatively cheap cost by entering their opens.

Being a member gets me courtesyof the course at about 15 other courses.

Plus the opprtunity to play another 15 for free in matches.

Our single visitor fee is £40 and our 7 day membership fee is £845 so the break even point is approx. 21 rounds a year. Plus you cannot get a round on a Saturday unless you play with a member as their guest.

The longest period I have gone with out playing was about 10 -11 months (due to injury).

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play every week and with membership just shy of £2k, I still think it’s worth it to play at a top 100 course in the South East. If l’m not playing my course I’m getting a good deal in a club match £25 to play Liphook, West Hill, Hindhead with dinner included. I’ve also played Hankley Common and Parkstone for free on reciprocals.

Then there are all the other benefits like practice facilities, handicap, competitions, member base. I can use the club for meetings, dinners, etc.. Plus it’s a 5 minute drive there and a 40 min stagger home.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is another course near me that does a £500 'lifestyle' membership. For that you don't get unlimited rounds, but you get tokens so you can play a certain number of times until they're used up. I thought it was a decent deal, but the deal-breaker for me was that you can only enter the monthly medals and Stablefords - not the major comps. Would feel like you were missing out on quite a bit there I think. Still, it's a step in the right direction.
2nd class membership...

D

Deleted member 15344

Membership for me is superb value - it’s not just the cost but it’s the regular roll ups and friends you make , add in the HC etc plus it’s just up the road and no tee booking so can just turn up and have a round .

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This is my first year playing Golf.
I joined my first club in Jan 18.
Ignoring my joining fee, the subs are just over £2000.

is it value for money - 110% yes.
I will end up paying less than £15 a round.
I have played a load of away courses in club events for no green fee.
I have a free driving range and short game area
An on site shop were a professional bloke and two assistants give help, advice and lessons
A bar, restaurant,social club etc
Free showers
A county card
A handicap
A huge amount of new friends

etc etc etc

This sums it up perfectly, just missing the fact that you've got somewhere to put your name on the wall... ;)