Arbroath/Montrose advice please

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
As a local i stay in Dundee i'd stay in Montrose I've worked there for 15 years plenty places to stay but book early as the Fire School for offshore training gets busy plenty place to stay ,The George hotel which is also great for food,The Park and The Links hotels food wise Stroma, Roos Leap and East Coast Burgers and The IndianCottage are good. Arbroath i wouldn't touch with a barge pole rundown and full of Junkies.

Golf wise i'd play Montrose ,both courses are really good Alyth and Strathmore are really good and won't burst the bank, Edzell is worth a shout and not that far from Montrose a lovely old fashioned clubhouse.

^^^^^^

He's the man I'd ask and take his advice.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks again chaps. Have managed to book a decent sized house in the middle of Montrose in mid may, so looking forward to it.

Kind of sad about missing out on Arbroath though....

As ever with trip advice, I'll report back post-tour so that anyone coming after us can see what we made of it all.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks again chaps. Have managed to book a decent sized house in the middle of Montrose in mid may, so looking forward to it.

Kind of sad about missing out on Arbroath though....

As ever with trip advice, I'll report back post-tour so that anyone coming after us can see what we made of it all.

What courses did you decide on?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So, just back from deepest Angus and thought I'd update the thread with some information for anyone who comes across it later.

We stayed in Montrose. Nice town centre apartment. There were 4 of us, so works out a lot cheaper than a hotel. You also get some facilities (kitchen, washer/drier etc) that you wouldn't get and can just spread out more.
Montrose seemed a decent enough town - very well kept - public spaces/parks were all clean and well maintained. Although I live in a pretty well off s/e england market town, I would say that Montrose looks better cared for and more money spent.
However... was not particularly impressed with the food and drink options. We've previously stayed in East Lothian and Fife which were much better. You really struggle to get decent beer in this neck of the woods.

For golf, we played the first evening and one other evening on the Broomfield course in Montrose. Very handy little course for a warm up or quick game. Short, dead flat, but in decent nick for a second course and cheap enough. Good for honing your links skills.
Day 2 we took a day ticket at Arbroath. Really nice holiday track - not too difficult, but enough interest especially around the greens to keep you honest. Great value for a day (£55). Was in decent condition despite the dry spring weather.
Day 3 we played Forfar. Nice change of scenery, interesting course with lots of changes of elevation and nicely, but not penaley, tree lined. Again, not the longest, but it's nice to be hitting short irons into greens. Well kept and friendly.
Day 3 - medal course at Montrose. Classic links track. interesting holes. The fairways, especially those nearest the sea were in poor condition (we took the executive decision to introduce pick and place, not sure if that's the official line, but would be a bit grim otherwise). The greens were excellent though, some of the nicest I've putted on for a while, with a good roll but not silly fast. It's both good and bad value - bad when we played (£90) but good if you pick it up on a twilight (£40). We were constrained by having to travel home mid afternoon, so took the hit.

We travelled by taxi (mainly pre-arranged) throughout. Much more relaxing than hiring a car and no more expensive.

The weather from start to finish was fantastic. We've done a number of spring trips to East Coast Scotland. All have been great for weather. There's nowhere better to play when it's like that.

Also, the welcome from all the clubs and golfers was extremely warm and hospitable. In Montrose, the golf links doesn't have a clubhouse, so we decamped to the Royal Montrose GC. They let us use all their facilities (including leaving clubs/bags) and couldn't have been nicer.

All in all, another top trip. I'm sure that there are loads of English golfers who have never made the trip north, and I couldn't over-emphasis what a great place to play it is. And if you organise it with a little care, it is great value and really interesting. Plus, contrary to what you might think from reading some of the threads here, they're a really nice bunch...

User20204

Visit site
The two fairways by the sea are currently or at least were, using mats due to a sand storm blowing up from the beech last winter hence why you found them in the condition you did.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The two fairways by the sea are currently or at least were, using mats due to a sand storm blowing up from the beech last winter hence why you found them in the condition you did.
Yep. Was aware of that. Also, the pro said that they were installing irrigation which should improve things.
Not having a dig, but as I was reviewing the course it seemed only honest to mention it.