Arbroath/Montrose advice please

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi there.

For our Annual Scottish trip, we are heading to the above titled area next may or June..

I was planning on playing Arbroath, Montrose and forfar. Haven't decided where to stay yet, but would like it to be one of the two coastal towns.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insights on a course which is better than these 3 in the area?

Would also appreciate advice on which town would be nicest to eat/drink/stay in. We're not young, so nothing involving flashing lights is required.

Thanks,

D.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Arbroath IMO is rubbish, but of course just my opinion. Montrose and Forfar are better than Brechin/Kirrie so I'd avid those two, you could try Letham Grange, the Old is a beast, the new is average, though I have no idea of condition as these courses have had major owner/member problems for what seems like decades now.

Obviously you'll be not far from Carnoustie/Monifieth then there is Edzell, apparently very good, though not played that myself, sure there is more but that's all that springs to mind at the moment.

On which town to stay in, I'd avoid Arbroath like the plague.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Arbroath IMO is rubbish, but of course just my opinion. Montrose and Forfar are better than Brechin/Kirrie so I'd avid those two, you could try Letham Grange, the Old is a beast, the new is average, though I have no idea of condition as these courses have had major owner/member problems for what seems like decades now.

Obviously you'll be not far from Carnoustie/Monifieth then there is Edzell, apparently very good, though not played that myself, sure there is more but that's all that springs to mind at the moment.

On which town to stay in, I'd avoid Arbroath like the plague.
Thanks for this. As a southerner, my knowledge of minor Scottish towns is limited to football results, so any info is helpful. Did think of going to Dundee, but the carnoustie prices have gone up a big chunk for 2019, and many of the neighbouring tracks look to have factored American visitors into their pricing...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Edzell is very good, or it certainly used to be. Letham was wonderful but it deteriorated so much we stopped playing in an annual open event their about 10 years ago. Real shame.

I don't mind Kirriemuir.

Your not a million miles from a lot of good choices. Even Blairgowrie isn't that far away.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Carnoustie is absurdly expensive now, apparently the Burnside course at Carnoustie took a bit of a hiding during the open but sure it'll be fine come June next year,You also have Panmure beside Carnoustie and other than Downfield there isn't much else in Dundee than the two muni ones, though Camperdown is a good challenge. Your other options is heading Perthshire, which give you Alyth/Blairgowire/Strathmore.

You have 4 at CarnoustieMonifieth x 2/ Arbroath/Edzell/Forfar/Kirrie/Letham Grange x2/Brechin/Alyth/Strathmore/Blairgowrie x2/Downfield/Camperdown/Caird Park, all within a 30 mile radius of Dundee, then there is St Andrews just 11 miles from Dundee, Drumoig, I could go on but fair to say there is plenty of choice, if you want my opinion on these course just ask, played them all except 2, sure I've missed some out.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So many courses there that I haven't played! I liked downfield bit if you fancy and inland course Blairgowrie Rosemount is the best inland course I've played in Scotland.
Panmure has a great rep.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
So many courses there that I haven't played! I liked downfield bit if you fancy and inland course Blairgowrie Rosemount is the best inland course I've played in Scotland.
Panmure has a great rep.

Aren't opinions on courses great, I'd heard so much about Blairgowrie, I couldn't wait to play them, came away thinking...:unsure: not as great as everyone kept making out, as for the clubhouse, now we're talking :cool:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aren't opinions on courses great, I'd heard so much about Blairgowrie, I couldn't wait to play them, came away thinking...:unsure: not as great as everyone kept making out, as for the clubhouse, now we're talking :cool:

Not sure how you could be disappointed???
The Red Kite I saw hovering both times I played (and deer in the trees) topped off a really lovely golf course.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes the wildlife is great around there but like any expectation, things don't always live up to the hype, never said I was disappointed though, was just possibly expecting something else, take The Ailsa at Turnberry, everyone went on about it, more than lived up to my expectation, we're all different.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Montrose, Arbroath, and Forfar will be a decent trip and wont be expensive if cost is a factor. Obviously there are bigger name courses around however the majority probably mean more ££s although Montrose is a fantastic Links and great value. Montrose is probably nicer than Arbroath as a base. Someone mentioned Edzell which is another good option close by in that area or head North to Stonehaven.....cliff top course with great views and some fun holes (again won't be expensive). If you're staying in Montrose, fit in a quick 18 on the Broomfield course as well, a short good fun track.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played Forfar and Edzell this summer , quite different courses with Forfar having a lot of undulating fairways, Edzell I thought was the better course and in very good condition and greens were excellent, very friendly members and a big driving range, only downside with Edzell was there was some blind tee shots.

Given the choice of the two I would definitely play Edzell again the fairways were very green and lush even in the hot summer we had and were a pleasure to play off.

D

Deleted member 23270

Apparently Downfield is nice and has some lovely members too 👍

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As it happens, our annual Scottish trip this year was to Montrose.. In the course of a week we played Montrose, Arbroath, Brechin, Panmure (twice), Ladybank, Monifieth (both courses), and Newmachar (both courses).

Brechin was the only one I'd not bother with again. Don't agree that Arbroath is rubbish. Panmure was great - played twice as a day ticket is good value (single round a bit pricey). Both Ladybank & Newmachar might seem a bit of a schlepp from Montrose but they are only an hour away - and both well worth the trip (especially the Hawkshill at Newmachar - which l thought was the best course of the week).

Didn't do Forfar this time, but it's always worth a visit. And as far as I'm aware, Letham Grange still has serious maintenance problems.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played Forfar in trip an couple of years ago which included Edzell (where we stayed) and Brechin. the latter two i wouldn't bother with again myself, but enjoyed Forfar.

We go Fife/ Angus every year in a 4 day trip. Montrose i enjoyed but wasn't in great condition, Monifieth i always enjoy same with Panmure. Downfield is nice if it dry and running esp off the back tee.
Ladybank is good, but don't forget the St Andrews courses are only a few miles away.

We always make a point of playing the 9 hole at Blairgowrie on our way back on the last afternoon, which i think is one of the finest going. that might be worth considering as well.

We have stayed in the Green Hotel at Kinross they really looked after us last time as they did at Edzell.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Morning all. Thanks for all this, I'm looking forward to it already.

A minor aside - we had a fife trip earlier this year, so won't be looking to go there again so soon (though I agree that the options are good).

Does anyone have an opinion on Arbroath (the town) to supplement randg? I only ask as it has the widest selection of available properties...

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Morning all. Thanks for all this, I'm looking forward to it already.

A minor aside - we had a fife trip earlier this year, so won't be looking to go there again so soon (though I agree that the options are good).

Does anyone have an opinion on Arbroath (the town) to supplement randg? I only ask as it has the widest selection of available properties...

It's certainly a little bit run down and tired but it's a decent sized placed so plenty places to eat and drink. The harbour is lovely and the Abbey is worth a look if you're into history. I guess the key is finding a good hotel as you'll be out golfing through the day.....of course there are nicer towns in Fife and Tayside but I Idon't think you'll go wrong in Arbroath.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a local i stay in Dundee i'd stay in Montrose I've worked there for 15 years plenty places to stay but book early as the Fire School for offshore training gets busy plenty place to stay ,The George hotel which is also great for food,The Park and The Links hotels food wise Stroma, Roos Leap and East Coast Burgers and The IndianCottage are good. Arbroath i wouldn't touch with a barge pole rundown and full of Junkies.

Golf wise i'd play Montrose ,both courses are really good Alyth and Strathmore are really good and won't burst the bank, Edzell is worth a shout and not that far from Montrose a lovely old fashioned clubhouse.