Appearance fees.....

Topper_Harley

Medal Winner
Visit site
Tiger has been reportedly paid $2 million for just turning up to play in the Dubai Desert Classic

When you consider that the total purse for the entire event is $2,400,000 it makes you think, and probably makes some of the other less known pros think a bit too

Are we for or against this? I know that the publicity he generates makes money for the Tour and the sponsors, but in a world when footballers are pilloried for earning £50,000 a week is $2 million for four (or potentially two if he starts chopping) days work too much, and are we focussing accusations of greed on the wrong sportsmen/entertainers?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
However great Tiger is for golf (and a gd bloke...so i been told!) $2 mil has to be way too much for anyone to get in appearance fees....give it to charity Tiger

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger does give a lot to charity but even so $2m is over the top IHMO

I suppose it's just market economics at work - when sponsors and tournament organisers decide it doesnt stack up they'll get out - bit like HSBC have just done from the Matchplay

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If this is true I think he should give it to charity. This sort of thing is really bad PR for Tiger. After moaning about not getting appearance money for the Ryder Cup, this makes me sick. He is the richest sportsman in the world. How much is enough Tiger!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Money obsessed- Like you say surely he has enough money.

It would be interesting to see if appearance fees were non-existent how pro's would select what they play in. would Americans travel overseas even less?