Anyone read Geoff Mangum’s Optimal Putting?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It has waaaaaay too much information in it. I just want to get to the bits that tell me how to putt :)

If you’ve read it, do you think it was worth it? And what were the actual ‘worth it’ bits you liked?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I haven't read that one but just finished 'the lost art of putting" and thought it quite good
There's a series of vids on Peter Finch's YouTube channel with Karl Morris taking about some of the themes in this book. I quite enjoyed them, but obviously YMMV.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a series of vids on Peter Finch's YouTube channel with Karl Morris taking about some of the themes in this book. I quite enjoyed them, but obviously YMMV.

I saw them before downloading the book and whilst they cover the main points in the videos I still found the book interesting. I especially found what "type" of person I was on the putting green - too worried about the putting action and not enough about the result I was after. I'm hoping that it'll benefit me when the new season arrives to concern myself more with distance control than the swing itself as they clearly feel that pace is much more important than line

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I saw them before downloading the book and whilst they cover the main points in the videos I still found the book interesting. I especially found what "type" of person I was on the putting green - too worried about the putting action and not enough about the result I was after. I'm hoping that it'll benefit me when the new season arrives to concern myself more with distance control than the swing itself as they clearly feel that pace is much more important than line

Watched the series too. I think he was on On the Mark podcast too. Was a food listen if I remember rightly.

I found I’m more accurate with terrible distance control, but less accurate with distance control. If I could only get the two to come together!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Watched the series too. I think he was on On the Mark podcast too. Was a food listen if I remember rightly.

I found I’m more accurate with terrible distance control, but less accurate with distance control. If I could only get the two to come together!

They're saying that distance control is key so I guess I'd stick with "Less accurate with distance control" as it'll keep down the number of 3 putts

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They're saying that distance control is key so I guess I'd stick with "Less accurate with distance control" as it'll keep down the number of 3 putts

Yeah I definitely prefer having distance control. Played the best golf of my life last week, but ruined my score with a few 4 putts and a bunch of threes! 🙈

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Try to looking at the hole. Not for everyone but I find it helps me with distance and loosens up the stroke. It's like throwing underarm.