Any tips for estimating clubface angle and path?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your hitting into a net, or hitting foam balls off the garden wall, or just practicing without a ball, you can’t see path or clubface at impact. Without seeing ball flight it’s difficult to know if your swing is what you think it is. And it’d be easy to ingrain incorrect mechanics.

So you get any innovative tips for detecting path and face at impact?

Practice swings in long grass help with path for example. What about cheap apps, impact bags, video?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Do you have a budget in mind?

Couple of cheapies:
Based on the headcover drill Bob regularly posts, put some things down either side of the ball. Toilet roll cardboard if it isn't windy maybe. Set them so a swing with a neutral path will miss them.

Stick a cane or alignment stick where your foam balls are going - makes it easier to spot if going left or right of target.

You mentioned videoing also.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No budget in mind. But something cheap is better. Can’t justify buying any expensive equipment for my level of golf!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe there are some acceptable smart phone apps that can be set up to give you a reasonable idea. I've seen people using them at the range.

I think you basically set it up with a small tripod and align the ball position within the screen.

Sorry I can't direct you any further, but I would imagine that is going to be your best bet within a very reasonable budget. I'd guess £20 total for the app and a small phone tripod / stand.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would go with a camera to be honest, thinking to lessons the video is more helpful than the monitor numbers. Framerate is helpful but i think its more important to be a global shutter. Once i get my indoor room sorted (roll on 2021) a camera will be first on my list.

At the moment I do what Iain suggested using leftover golf tees as my markers.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, although chrimbo is coming ?
@harpo_72 is maybe the guy to comment. See this post https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/acustrike-mat.106270/
We've also been playing around with gizmos that attach to club shaft or similar, him Phigolf, me tittle but they cost more
Acustrike mat all day every day, simple and effective. Gets me on the plane before I hit balls. Then I just hit them nicely, if start to struggle I go back and have a swing or 2 on the mat. I bought one for my 78yr old dad .. he has improved, playing more from the fairway and further up. In my last 2 rounds of competition I took 1 shot off my handicap, and I think the mat was responsible.
Regards the sensors .. I am not convinced fully, I get discrepancies some I understand others have me scratching my head.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have heard mixed reviews about the acustrike. Though I really like the idea behind it. Sounds like it’s working well for you

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A stick and some blue tack.

Stick to the face so it points out at 90*

Probably can’t full swing it but you can slow mo swing to see if you are open or closed etc.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your hitting into a net, or hitting foam balls off the garden wall, or just practicing without a ball, you can’t see path or clubface at impact. Without seeing ball flight it’s difficult to know if your swing is what you think it is. And it’d be easy to ingrain incorrect mechanics.

So you get any innovative tips for detecting path and face at impact?

Practice swings in long grass help with path for example. What about cheap apps, impact bags, video?

There's a scene in Tin Cup which might help you ;)