Any Sparky's

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Looking to buy a waterproof junction box to join some 4mm armoured cable for a power supply outside which will ultimately run into a couple of sheds.

Seen a few in Screwfix/Toolstation/B&Q etc but as always like to get recommendations.

Don't ask me anything technical I did well to disconnect the supply and move it out of the old shed I demolished without blowing myself up!!!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Make sure it's IP66 rated. How will you be connecting inside the box? Will it be 32A max rating?

I know you said nothing technical, but these are the minimal basics you should know before you start connecting up 4mm mains cable.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't worked with armoured cables for years however...4mm cable is a bitch to work with so opting for a larger sized junction box would be something to consider.
Have you also got suitable glands and are you able to make them off ok?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I haven't worked with armoured cables for years however...4mm cable is a bitch to work with so opting for a larger sized junction box would be something to consider.
Have you also got suitable glands and are you able to make them off ok?

I'll get glands when I get a junction box.

The "complaint" with the waterproof junction box at Screwfix is that it's a bit too big, maybe I'll just buy that then? It was more a post to see if anyone had used any of the "brand" ones and would recommend one over the other!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plug it in and see wit it does! It will be fine, not like ure gong to be running a air commpressor and Heat gun and an abrasive wheel out there, or are u?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i use these for all my electrical requirements TLC Direct
Forget your DIY chains:)

Edit..perhaps this might be of use?..32a junction box, IP66 rated
I used simular though lower amp rating for when I redid all my outside security lights with armoured cable. You will need the screw in sealed cable clamps, and I also put stopper caps on the unused entrance points even though the rubber membrane was intact:)

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll get glands when I get a junction box.

The "complaint" with the waterproof junction box at Screwfix is that it's a bit too big, maybe I'll just buy that then? It was more a post to see if anyone had used any of the "brand" ones and would recommend one over the other!

Simple answer, no. Brands are much a muchness in my opinion. Its the rating that's more important.
How will you connect up the junction? 4mm cable is hard to bend in to position so a larger box with some Wago 42A connectors would be my method.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the box is going to be outside get this from ip66 box Screwfix cat No 17308, 150 x 150 x 80 you'll have 3 cables so you need enough room inside to make off the joints.
Can't you re-route the cable so it's inside hut 1 then loop across to hut 2, a galvanised Screwfix box 17308 would then do, you'll need a 32 amp connector strip.
Make sure the circuit is RCD protected.
Remember red to brown, green to yellow and green stripe, and blue to kingdom come.