Any builders/roofers on here?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Mrs BiM and I are currently enduring the joys of a loft conversion next door :mad:

The neighbour has knocked tonight and was asking/telling me about how they proposed to do something with the ridge tiles and cut the flashing into them. The explanation wasn't clear and as we are going out shortly I told him it wasn't a good time and I'd speak to him over the weekend.

Personally I'm always a little sceptical when someone who is spending a small fortune on his own house starts offering to start interfering with mine for my benefit at no expense to me, and I wonder why this wasn't mentioned when the party wall agreement was talked about.

Anyone any idea what this might be & whether my concerns are grounded?

Thanks.

C

c1973

I'm no builder but if he's doing a loft conversion I can't see why he needs to go anywhere near your ridge tiles.

I'd keep a close eye on whatever works are being carried out.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
We are end of terrace and he is adjoining; there is a row of ridge tiles in-between the two roofs. His roof is being completely removed so I can why they need to come up. My concern is what is going back down.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I think you are worrying unnecessarily Richard
The standard construction is trusses, layers of waterproof sheet material with tiles on top.
Where the 2 roofs join they will need to remove the roof tiles your side of the join ,overlap the waterproof sheet then replace the tiles.
At the ridge point there is often a small gap where the tiles don't quite meet (we are talking a couple of mm here) , they then put a covering of a zinc flashing along the join and top it with the ridge tiles, this flashing should go under your ridge tile too otherwise there could be a gap and water could get in.

As long as the builders are good you shouldn't have anything to worry about, but if in doubt , ask the builder what he is doing and why

Oh and watch out for leaks when it rains , just in case

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm no expert but I've done a bit of roofing work with a mate & I agree with Phil,nothing to worry about.
Have a word with the builder just to put your mind at rest.

C

c1973

Yep, as said if he's renewing the roof he'll need to ensure the adjoining roof remains watertight.
Not much to worry about provided the roofers are competent.......and they're not doing it on a Friday afternoon. :whistle:

Replacing a roofs got a bit more to it than a simple run of the mill loft conversion though. :)

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Thanks for the replies chaps. Of the block of 4 in the terrace, ours is apparently to only one not re-roofed. The other 3 were done in different tiles to the existing, hence the ridge between ours & next door to cover any gaps. Apparently they are going to source some tiles the same as mine to link onto his side and is then going to lead flash over the join as well. Can't say I see the need if the tiles are right but the builder says it's better so I'll go with it.

Roll on the end, there won't be anything else to do there then.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies chaps. Of the block of 4 in the terrace, ours is apparently to only one not re-roofed. The other 3 were done in different tiles to the existing, hence the ridge between ours & next door to cover any gaps. Apparently they are going to source some tiles the same as mine to link onto his side and is then going to lead flash over the join as well. Can't say I see the need if the tiles are right but the builder says it's better so I'll go with it.

Roll on the end, there won't be anything else to do there then.

dont let them put flashing over the tiles it looks a mess from the street ,get them to fit a joining valley under both sets of tiles and interlink the roof tiles ,much better and neater job.