Anthems

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with the Birdieman i prefer Scotland the brave but also like the flowers .
if England had to have a national anthem it would probably mention 1966 and the rugby world cup and how the Government bend it's citizens over a barrel and shaft them every way they can
oh and is Jerusalem not in a different country?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
<u>If</u> there were to be an English anthem, then Land of Hope and Glory or Rule Britannia,
<u>but</u>, teach the National Anthem (all the verses) in school - with no exceptions.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, 'God Save The Queen' is not a great anthem. But what it stands for most certainly is (in my eyes anyway!). It's never been a song about the Queen for me, it's been the anthem of my country.

Sorry what? God save our gracious queen?

Pretty hard to forget what the song is about when this is the opening line.

National anthem should sing about how great our country is and not ask God to save the queen, we should be telling other nations how good our army is and that they will save the queen if need be, should sing about chip shops and country pubs. Golf courses and scarfell pike. Roast dinners and real ale's. Top gear and ronnie o'sullivan!

Rant Over!

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sorry what? God save our gracious queen?

Pretty hard to forget what the song is about when this is the opening line.

I know what the words are! What I mean is despite the literal interpretation, the words are almost irrelevant to me. It is the anthem of my nation and it could be about hanging outside a Spar for all I care. Like I said, it's what it represents i.e. England that pumps the blood for me.

And while ours may not be a showy anthem like the French, when delivered with genuine gusto, it reaches into parts of the soul that jumpy tunes never will.

Depth over razzmatazz!

Not sure about Ronnie O'Sullivan though! John Wilson, Brian Johnston, Peter Alliss and Bobby Moore are more apposite!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now you're talking brendy!

There is a story (possibly apocryphal) that during the Falklands when one of the ships in the sound was burning and sinking, the crew were singing this on the forecastle while waiting to get lifted off.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
To me its as english as english can be, the accents in the song, the mood and intention of the song, I love it, even if it is in the filthy mancunian chants repertoire (sp) Haha

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wish the English would all be like you lot.
Reclaim the flag,reclaim the anthem from the shaven headed tatooed ankle brigade.
Be proud of your country but accepting of the feelings of others with regard to your history.
I cry every time I hear Land of my Fathers, I have no words to describe how it makes me feel or my love for Wales.
There must be a way for England to find a rallying call.
Jerusalem is a wonderful song and does mention England so it could be an anthem sung before internationals.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Nice to see all this patriotism flying around, really nice.

I hate it when people knock this country, look at the state of the rest of the world and be grateful.

Some people take the pi$$ a bit but I cannot hide my pride in being English, I even have a Tattoo to show it. I have England flags on my number plates and why shouldn't I.

The 1 thing I wish is that the English people would make as much of a fuss of St Georges day as they do Paddy's day. It riles me as I have Mick blood but come Paddy's day so does 99% of England!

I always celebrate St Georges day with great excitement, it should be a public holiday without doubt.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only time yhou see an England flag is when they are playing in a sports event such as footy and rugby world cups . . .why ??? Are you only England fans when there is a trophy at stake? Get the flags up and start having pride in your country FFS. Scots are always SCOTTISH and proud as are the Paddys and Taffs ;) but the English seem toneed an occassion to be English and then its Eng-ur-lund.

You seem to be passionate but not proud, they should go hand in hand.

Reclaim the flag od St. George from the footy thugs and ask yourselves this one question ;

Does your golf club fly the flag?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do not subscribe to the "Tebbit test" but I do support the English against anyone but us,the sweaty's and the bog arabs. ;)

Got no time for the ABE (Anyone But England) brigade.

I do know how the other home nations feel (my dad had to wear the Welsh Not) but this is a wonderful country.

We are lucky to live here.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed that pride in England should be encouraged. The problem is that those in power seem to think that it is not PC to be passionate about England whilst quite happily passing legislation to allow any other nationality to celebrate their own unique qualities.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We are crippled as a nation by Liberal do-gooders.

You put up a Saltire or the Dragon and you're a patriot and well done you.

You put up a George's cross and you're a racist and stop trying to colonise the world you bastard.

Only the English feel that they shouldn't revel in their nationality - it drives me nuts. Look at the RWC 2003 final when Dallaglio (right English name that!) and Lewsey are singing in the lineup - that's what it's all about for me.

I feel my chest swell about 3 sizes on those occasions. If I listen to Elgar's Enigma variations of Holst's 'Jupiter', I just about start crying inside with how much pride and passion I start to feel for my country.

And then the Labour govt come along and I soon forget...

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Madandra is spot-on. The huge majority only become interested Englishmen when the football is on. There is certainly a huge difference between booze-fueled passion and pride.

Toonarmy has a great point about do-gooders. I was told at a job I had before being self-employed to stop wearing a belt buckle I own. It is a bulldog flanked by 2 St George Cross Flags. Bloody hippy do-gooders again.

Lots of people say that my England Bulldog Tattoo makes me look like a yob but tbh I couldn't give a damn, I'm English and god knows I am so proud of that fact.

You have to admire the scots (that hurt) but they are a different class when it comes to national pride, virtually every scot I know down here displays the flag of St Andrew on their car and thats great in my eyes, the welsh aren't far behind them and the Irish are the same.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my work no staff are allowed to wear home nations football or rugby shirts etc, the PC brigade are ruining all of our fun.

Im so proud of being both Welsh and British and we do not celebrate it enough!

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wouldn't mind but why we can't we have national pride? It's not as if we don't all pull together when given the opportunity (GB in Athletics and other stuff, The British & Irish Lions in rugby) so as we can do it collectively, shouldn't we all be allowed the same freedom independently?

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Toony
Why don't we adopt ''Bladen Races'' as our anthem? Congrats. on your draw the other ''neet''. I reckon you'll all be ''gangin' along'' in a lower division next season!
Regards
Shanker

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IF the english dont start to be english again this will be our nation flag!
http://collateraldamage.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/aqiniraqlogo.jpg

WE should Definately change our National anthem its Dreary and boring and ...all about the Queen who i dont give a toss about whether she is english german or whatever! I see little point in the Monarchy now, seen as most the royals spend there spare time Fox hunting or some silly bollox like that. And its hardly the days of Richard the lion heart!

On telly today about the Ghurkas .. prime example of how nonsense this country is, the polish and other imigrants get treated better than the true ENGLISH.

On the other hand England has its benefits As jon points out. At least theres no real poverty going on etc like SA.
Were Lucky, But Great britain particularly ENGLAND as a whole has the potential and should be a lot lot GREATER

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Toony
Why don't we adopt ''Bladen Races'' as our anthem? Congrats. on your draw the other ''neet''. I reckon you'll all be ''gangin' along'' in a lower division next season!
Regards
Shanker

Blaydon, dear boy and I think you'll find it's 'gannin'!

We will not be rubbing shoulders with the great unwashed next season - definite. ;)

Next season will be a different story I assure you. Fat Sam has done more damage than people outside know. I have some friends who work at the club and suffice it to say, no-one shed any tears when fathead left (he wasn't actually sacked, regardless of what the big-gobbed whinger keeps implying).

What can a man who knots his tie like that have to say about anything? :eek:

On other matters, I'm no Royalist, but to think that the Monarcy is an anachronistic monolith serving no purpose other than fox hunting and in-breeding is just plain stupid.

Economically they contribute a significant amount (approximated at 25p in every tourist pound). Diplomatically (despite Philip!) they forge relations which permit an internationalised business agenda. I could go on, but if people really believe they serve no purpose, then there seems little point in continuing.

And if it's all 'about our boys/girls fighting abroad' etc., haven't we just had an heir to the throne return from active duty? We are living in the age of probably our 2nd greatest monarch (after her namesake) of all time - let's show a little more respect please!