Another Tiger Thread!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I still think Jack's major record and longevity makes him the GOAT.

In his prime, probably Tiger was more exciting and moved the needle more. But longevity is a big part of being the greatest of all time. Look at Federer, Pele, Serena, Redgrave, Bolt, Phelps etc. all dominated for longer than Tiger did - especially taking into account that golf is not an endurance event and players remain competitive into their 40s.

Having read Hank Haney's book about Tiger, I think it is fair to say that Tiger has shortened his career hugely by having a military style training regime and going for training weekends with Navy Seals etc.

He has also missed huge chunks of golf out from what would have been the prime of his career in his mid to late 30s. You have to believe that had he stayed fit from 2008 onwards, he would have won far more than 14 majors.

Obviously at this moment, you would be a fool to say that Tiger can't or won't win another major, but another 4 or 5 is probably beyond even someone of Tigers ability and there are very few players who have won major championships when they have been older than Tiger is currently. And especially with the current crop of players at the top end of the game all being at the level they are at.

There's a huge amount of talent to beat in a major championship (or any big tour event) and even with Tiger's resurgence and the chances he gave himself to win this year (especially at the Valspar and the Open) the only tournament he won was a limited field, 30 man event where a fair chunk of the field were just free wheeling to collect some $$$$s.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
Tiger's WR position is a bit misleading..
He's had a good season, no doubt, but he's only up where he is because he has no points to lose from events 2 years ago.
He's gained 237 points this year, I think 10 others have gained more. But Tiger's only lost 20 points where the norm in the top echelons of the ranking lose 150-200.
Had Tiger lost a similar number of points he'd be down in the 60's or 70's.
He has virtually no points to lose next year either, so will continue to rise even with mediocre results.
Once he has retained 2 years worth of results, a clearer picture of his actual ranking will be more apparent.
Absolutely spot on. The Hero Challenge and into 2019 will all be 100% gravy in terms of Tiger's OWGR. It won't be going down that is for sure as long as he stays fit .

dronfield

Visit site
Hi
Very difficult in any sport to compare eras -
When Nicklaus was playing the records suggest that he perhaps had less competition - initially Palmer and Player, then later on Trevino, Jacklin, Miller & Watson etc. In addition to his 14 wins, he had a very high number of 2nd places.
In the modern era, it always seemed that at any major there were potentially 30 winners, which meant that the likes of Seve /Faldos achievements were great, and Woods simply astonishing!
What irks a lot of people is the obsession by the likes of Sky with Woods when he is not anywhere near contention - albeit the tv viewing figures do back up/justify this need to have him in the coverage.
Rich

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is that true? Your note inspired me to look and I can understand that older points over the two year period are diminished to reward current form and are then added to the total points which are divided by the number of competitions played. Which would help Tiger as he has more recent results and a lower number of events.

But Wiki (agree not always reliable) states that "If a player competes in fewer than 40 tournaments over the two-year period his adjusted points total is divided by 40 and not the actual number of events he has played in.", so wouldn't Tiger currently be at a disadvantage as his points for this year will be divided by 40, being more tournaments than he's played (I assume, haven't checked number of tournaments). Where as someone with points in the prior year would get a boost assuming they're playing a normal number of events. Or does an injury exemption remove the 40 tournament divider?
Good point. But the divisor is either 40 or the number of events played during the 2 years if over 40. So, for example, Justin Rose's divisor is 48, Frankie Molinari has a divisor of 51, Bryson's is 52..
So it kind of evens itself out.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good point. But the divisor is either 40 or the number of events played during the 2 years if over 40. So, for example, Justin Rose's divisor is 48, Frankie Molinari has a divisor of 51, Bryson's is 52..
So it kind of evens itself out.

Not really, as Rose will have played 48 events where he's accumulated points in all of them although some hold less value. Woods will have played 20 events and dividing those points by 40, so he's at a disadvantage compared with the comments above about how his ranking is flattered by only having current event points. If anything his position, in terms of number of ranking points, should strengthen if he has a similar season again wouldn't it?

That's assuming I've read it right, I'll happily admit I've never really looked at the ins and outs of the ranking system.

(Scrap all that, I think I was mis-reading your post suggesting Tiger would lose out by not having points to defend next year which is not what you said on re-reading, I'm in agreement and think he'll benefit even more)

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that true? Your note inspired me to look and I can understand that older points over the two year period are diminished to reward current form and are then added to the total points which are divided by the number of competitions played. Which would help Tiger as he has more recent results and a lower number of events.

But Wiki (agree not always reliable) states that "If a player competes in fewer than 40 tournaments over the two-year period his adjusted points total is divided by 40 and not the actual number of events he has played in.", so wouldn't Tiger currently be at a disadvantage as his points for this year will be divided by 40, being more tournaments than he's played (I assume, haven't checked number of tournaments). Where as someone with points in the prior year would get a boost assuming they're playing a normal number of events. Or does an injury exemption remove the 40 tournament divider?
If he has a similar year in points gathered which is still only be divided by 40 tournaments he could be world no1

DCB

Visit site
Well one thing is for sure, it's going to be an interesting start to next year. The Masters will certainly be on everyone's "watch" list. That has got to be good for golf. If Tiger can stay fit and avoid any further back issues, he'll be a major influence on next year's rankings.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would like to see Woods keep the progress going and if he can climb the rankings as a result so much the better. Can he win again. Definitely. Can he win a major? Possibly but I have my doubts. I'd love to see him in the mix on the back nine on Sunday again and have a real run at it. If he grabs it then you have to admire his drive, stubborn determination and talent. Not sure how many others would have come back from the surgery he's endured. Lets see what the season holds

D

Deleted Member 1156

Tigers comeback as been great viewing.
A few people left wiping egg off their face aswell 😂
Not sure why you're saying that. Plenty of people said they don't think he will win another major but I think most people thought he could/would win a tour event.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure why you're saying that. Plenty of people said they don't think he will win another major but I think most people thought he could/would win a tour event.
if he can win a tour even, he can win a major. He has all the mental skills, course management, and is as clever a golfer you will see. If his game is sharp enough for tour events it's sharp enough for majors. I'm sure he will win a major next season

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
if he can win a tour even, he can win a major. He has all the mental skills, course management, and is as clever a golfer you will see. If his game is sharp enough for tour events it's sharp enough for majors. I'm sure he will win a major next season

Absolutely nobody in golf holes out like Tiger. World's best.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Absolutely nobody in golf holes out like Tiger. World's best.
According to the PGA tour website stats, 131 guys are better at holing out from 4ft than Woods, including McIlroy and 36 guys are better from 6ft.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
According to the PGA tour website stats, 131 guys are better at holing out from 4ft than Woods, including McIlroy and 36 guys are better from 6ft.

Revisit that under pressure and I stand by my statement nobody holes out better than Mr Woods. Nuff said

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Oh god, not this argument again for the thousandth time this year. Strap yourselves in, it's going to be miserable.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Revisit that under pressure and I stand by my statement nobody holes out better than Mr Woods. Nuff said
I have no idea how you work out which putts are 'under pressure' and which aren't most of the top guys are ranked above Woods and they all play high profile events so I guess you are stating your opinion rather than facts.

Wolf

Visit site
I think Tigers resurgence is superb what he has been through with his body to make a comeback year like he has this year is nothing short of phenomenal.

His much publicised personal struggles are his own doing so I have no sympathy there but it must have created a mental struggle along with the physical issues he was suffering. So make the comeback he has physically and mentally is great for the man and the game alike.

He makes it exciting, adds another dimension to the game now as people aren't afraid of him they want him to go up against them so it's different to the Tiger era of old. All this and add in the fact he seems more humble I think its good for the game.