Another Tiger Thread!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Right, let's get the tin hat on and bullet proof vest.

Tiger Woods now ahead of Spieth, Reed, Finau wtc in the latest world rankings. What a rise Tiger has had this year. Actually it's an incredible journey he's been on.

Love him or loathe him he is an undeniable talent and still is Mr Golf.

D

Deleted member 21258

As a golfer (y)

Also hope that as a person given what he has been though and age, he has learnt certain lessons. Certainly appears slight different nowdays.

D

Deleted member 15344

He has had a stunning year considering everything with his back , he was always going to move up the rankings as he had zero points to defend so even playing in some events shot him up 100’s of places. At the end he played a lot of events and he at times looked shattered so I suspect he will play less next year

Will be interesting to see how he does - was last year a swan song as such or will he go further ? I think he will get a win on the PGA tour but just fall short in majors again

As for him being good for golf - i Think it will always be divisive because of the sole focus the media get when he plays and everyone else is ignored - that puts a good deal amount of people off. Telly ratings etc will have gone up in the US but I don’t think there will be much of an affect in the UK

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is no question that he is one hell of a golfer and his return has been great for the game and his rise has been outstanding something that only he could have done from that position at the start if the season, full credit to Tiger.

I for one will be watching as much golf as I can when he is playing and it's great to see how the TV crews give him the spotlight, I mean who would you rather watch JR or Tiger, yep Tiger all day.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
He has had a stunning year considering everything with his back , he was always going to move up the rankings as he had zero points to defend so even playing in some events shot him up 100’s of places. At the end he played a lot of events and he at times looked shattered so I suspect he will play less next year

Will be interesting to see how he does - was last year a swan song as such or will he go further ? I think he will get a win on the PGA tour but just fall short in majors again

As for him being good for golf - i Think it will always be divisive because of the sole focus the media get when he plays and everyone else is ignored - that puts a good deal amount of people off. Telly ratings etc will have gone up in the US but I don’t think there will be much of an affect in the UK

This ^^^^ I get sick to death of the media coverage (its not his fault mind.) when he is playing, therefore my telly goes off.

D

Deleted member 18588

There is no question that he is one hell of a golfer and his return has been great for the game and his rise has been outstanding something that only he could have done from that position at the start if the season, full credit to Tiger.

I for one will be watching as much golf as I can when he is playing and it's great to see how the TV crews give him the spotlight, I mean who would you rather watch JR or Tiger, yep Tiger all day.

No I wouldn't.

I want to see the field represented.

If Tiger is playing well and in contention fine I want to see him and the others but if not then to me he is not of interest.

D

Deleted member 21258

here we go again.............................

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
By far the best golfer of his generation, and great to see him back. Greatest of all time? That'll only ever be an opinion, as its impossible to see a match up between him and all the other greats across the generations.

As for showing him when he's in 30th-ish position in the field instead of someone pushing for the podium... it's what leads to people not liking him, even though it isn't his fault.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Can you do me a favour please Bomber

Can you point out or highlight the “hatred” or Hate being posted towards Woods please

Everything seems to be so far just balanced opinions on Woods until you posted that ?

Who is bomber now ? Cabby, craw now bomber, are you on the crystal meth :ROFLMAO:

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I have never been a huge fan, but suspect that was because his off course/post round persona was unattractive (not helped by the media overload). He now seems a more humble/approachable guy and to be honest I have enjoyed watching his comeback and particularly when he's played well. With an Iron in hand he is pretty much 1 or 2 shots better than the field when playing well and if you needed someone to hit it into a 10 foot circle from 120yds, he would be first choice for many. It's quite amazing how he makes players like Mcilroy's iron game look average. Will be very interesting to see how next year pans out and if he stays healthy, the big events should be fascinating.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally I think Tiger deserves HUGE kudos and credit. What he has achieved after having a fusion in his spine is simply phenomenal. Genuinely phenomenal. Then again should we be surprised? This is an athlete that won the 2008 US Open with a broken leg!

When you look into Tiger and what he brings to the game its incredible. This story sums up his following and mass marketing appeal. Mitsubishi were about to pull the plug on the Diamana range of shafts with sales falling all the time they believed that it was coming to the end of its shelf life/appeal. Suddenly Mr Woods sticks a Whiteboard in his driver and they go from "axing it" to not being able to cope with the demand for Diamana range.

Visit site
It was around the age of fifty that I first took an interest in golf........all thanks to Tiger. And still today, I find I am completely drawn to watching him. Like no other golfer, he is simply BOX OFFICE. I don't know what it is about him, but no one can deny that he draws crowds like no other golfer can.
Of course he has faults.....he finally proved that he was human with his fall from grace. I always hoped he would (somehow) make it back, but I suspected like many on here that he never would.
Here we are at the end of an outstanding golf year, and suddenly Tiger's right back up there. He probably won't quite make it back to No1, though I'm sure he won't be far off, but give the lad a break all you anti Tiger posters, let's see what his second year brings. I for one can't wait.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Tiger's WR position is a bit misleading..
He's had a good season, no doubt, but he's only up where he is because he has no points to lose from events 2 years ago.
He's gained 237 points this year, I think 10 others have gained more. But Tiger's only lost 20 points where the norm in the top echelons of the ranking lose 150-200.
Had Tiger lost a similar number of points he'd be down in the 60's or 70's.
He has virtually no points to lose next year either, so will continue to rise even with mediocre results.
Once he has retained 2 years worth of results, a clearer picture of his actual ranking will be more apparent.

D

Deleted member 18588

He probably won't quite make it back to No1, though I'm sure he won't be far off, but give the lad a break all you anti Tiger posters, let's see what his second year brings. I for one can't wait.

I appreciate that on previous threads there has been some Tiger bashing but on this occasion I haven't seen that.

Everyone seems to appreciate what he has achieved this year but some, including myself, have said that they do not wish media coverage of Tiger to be at the expense of all others in the field.

That is not anti-Tiger, that is a criticism of some in the media.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger's WR position is a bit misleading..
He's had a good season, no doubt, but he's only up where he is because he has no points to lose from events 2 years ago.
He's gained 237 points this year, I think 10 others have gained more. But Tiger's only lost 20 points where the norm in the top echelons of the ranking lose 150-200.
Had Tiger lost a similar number of points he'd be down in the 60's or 70's.
He has virtually no points to lose next year either, so will continue to rise even with mediocre results.
Once he has retained 2 years worth of results, a clearer picture of his actual ranking will be more apparent.

Is that true? Your note inspired me to look and I can understand that older points over the two year period are diminished to reward current form and are then added to the total points which are divided by the number of competitions played. Which would help Tiger as he has more recent results and a lower number of events.

But Wiki (agree not always reliable) states that "If a player competes in fewer than 40 tournaments over the two-year period his adjusted points total is divided by 40 and not the actual number of events he has played in.", so wouldn't Tiger currently be at a disadvantage as his points for this year will be divided by 40, being more tournaments than he's played (I assume, haven't checked number of tournaments). Where as someone with points in the prior year would get a boost assuming they're playing a normal number of events. Or does an injury exemption remove the 40 tournament divider?