Another thing about driving ranges

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
There's a thread about shanking on the range but not on the course. I go to the local range most days when I don't play & practise mainly wedge & 6 & 8 iron shots. I always finish with a few drivers. I find that if I hit too many with the driver they get progressively worse so I don't overdo it. I've been driving very well recently, yesterday I hit all but one fairway. However, at the range I can hit consecutive shots 40 yards apart, duck hooks, big ballooning slices, the lot. I don't try to hit it too hard, just concentrating on putting a good swing on each one. It's something I just can't explain. The tee is the correct height, the lie is perfectly flat, I just don't know. Anybody else experience this?

AliMc

Visit site
No, I haven't changed the grip at all. I've recently changed the way I release the club leading up to impact but, on the course, I've never hit it straighter.
Don't practice with the driver on the range then just stick to hitting your irons, I personally don't see the point in practising something at a range that's going well on the course as I inevitability screw it up (on the very few occasions that I go to a driving range, probably once or twice in the last few years)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't practice with the driver on the range then just stick to hitting your irons, I personally don't see the point in practising something at a range that's going well on the course as I inevitability screw it up (on the very few occasions that I go to a driving range, probably once or twice in the last few years)

If it's straight on the course, don't fix it.

Good advice, but I'm just curious as to why its so different at the range. It's always been the case that if I'm hitting it any way decently at the range that I'll hit it well on the course. Funny game.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Good advice, but I'm just curious as to why its so different at the range. It's always been the case that if I'm hitting it any way decently at the range that I'll hit it well on the course. Funny game.

If you're hitting duckhooks and high slices, you are altering the clubface direction at impact.
If it was happening on the course, I'd be looking at the new way you release the club but it's not so be thankful it's not great on the range and wayward on the course.

D

Deleted member 1147

For myself, I think I hit at it harder, on the range, than I do on the course. Which no doubt leads to errors.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I only use the range these days to work on a specific drill, I find repeatedly hitting balls at a target with one club creates faults I don't have when playing. If I'm working on my driver then I hit a number of half speed shots until I am getting the desired outcome, then progressively ramp up the speed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thing with the range is that you get into a routine and a good/bad temp depending on how well its going. If you are hitting well then everything seems easy. I find that I can got from a nice tempo to getting the driver out and everything starting to go wrong with hip slides, swinging too fast and trying to then slow down etc and it ends with me trying to change things that don't need changing.

I simple allocate 5 balls per club now. Pick a target per club ad score out of 5 and move on

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll start with my 9 and 7 iron to warm up, hitting about 10 shots. Then I'll visualise a few opening holes and go through my clubs required to reach the greens. I then will finish with my wedge as my distance control at 120 and under is the weakest part of my game, I'll probably end up hitting quarter of the bucket with my wedges.

C7usk

Visit site
I find the balls at the range (certainly where I stay) are so poor and varied in condition that it really affects the ball flight. Especially with the driver.. I can hit shots on the range that I know are good swings and the balls doin crazy stuff. Puts me right off.

Funt1m3

Visit site
So much at the range for me is in my head. One day I’m “hot” and ready for the Tour, next I’m ready to snap the clubs. I blame the mats…

The problem with getting a lesson is it isn’t just one lesson, usually. We’ll unless you’re a low figure hc and you really are tweaking the last 0.1%

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I find the balls at the range (certainly where I stay) are so poor and varied in condition that it really affects the ball flight. Especially with the driver.. I can hit shots on the range that I know are good swings and the balls doin crazy stuff. Puts me right off.
The balls at my range are excellent & I generally keep the more dimpled ones for the driver. They're made by Srixon, although I don't know what the quality of manufacture is like. They tend to fly a bit lower & definitely less far. Being two piece they should fly with less spin, although I'm not sure that's the case.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The balls at my range are excellent & I generally keep the more dimpled ones for the driver. They're made by Srixon, although I don't know what the quality of manufacture is like. They tend to fly a bit lower & definitely less far. Being two piece they should fly with less spin, although I'm not sure that's the case.

Try a different driving range, just don’t tell Chris I said that ?

C7usk

Visit site
Lol. Yeah that's definitely the answer... Bummer is it's only 5mins drive to it or about 25 to the next nearest.. And the one just up the road is attached to an American golf so its always good to have a little bit window shopping.