Another spectator hit

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45751456

The lady in question seems to have been hit in the middle of the forehead and is thankfully OK.

But this, along with the sad case at the RC, seems to suggest that spectators are at risk of in-the-face strikes - presumably because they are trying to look at the action.

Perhaps it's time for an enterprising accessory manufacturer to produce some kind of full-face clear visor that golf spectators be encouraged to wear - or perhaps can be loaned to them by the venues (subject to a returnable deposit, of course).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The issue now is that the Ryder Cup incident became so high profile that every time this happens it is going to be all over the news. Doubt many tournaments go by without at least one person being struck by a ball but it used to go pretty much unreported.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
might make the pro's think twice about absolutely bombing it left or right with a little waft of the hand to signal as such.

They couldnt find a fairway with an iron during the ryder cup, fans must have been bricking it every shot!! :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Gibbo !!!!!!!

Despite everything that has happened don’t see anything changing

Wolf

Visit site
It's a dangerous game when you choose to stand so close to the driving areas knowing there's chance of an errant shot launching its way to you in excess of 125mph, plus sound only carries so far.

Yes they should shout FORE! But does this stop people getting hit from an errant shot or lessen chance of a dodgy blow.. IMHO No it doesn't because as spectators we don't duck we do the opposite and try to watch the flight of the ball thinking it won't be us who gets hit..

Nothing will change, except for the where there's blame there's a claim culture looking to sue for a few quid.

Full sympathy to those injured wouldn't wish that on anyone but we know the risks when we attend these events and know What we're supposed to do when there is a shout but do we as spectators do it......

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Think golf like most ball sports, eg, football, cricket etc you have a chance of being hit by a ball. Don't know how it can be stopped. If anything, it should make people think twice if they do not have insurance 👍

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's not helped that the Pro's are more focused on distance than accuracy. Witness Mickelson's comments. These guys are professionals and should be more accurate than anyone else. If they made the rough more punitive it might make them hit more fairways and less spectators.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps it's time for an enterprising accessory manufacturer to produce some kind of full-face clear visor that golf spectators be encouraged to wear - or perhaps can be loaned to them by the venues (subject to a returnable deposit, of course).

Please tell me you are joking .............................. you must be.
I'm assuming you couldn't find the appropriate smiley for the end of your post.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing needs to be done. People just need to understand that when you go to an event, you might get hit by a ball. They also need to read the T&C’s on the ticket. If you don’t fancy the risk don’t bleeding go.

If I go to formula one and skip on to the track, I’d thoroughly expect to get ran over.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing needs to be done. People just need to understand that when you go to an event, you might get hit by a ball. They also need to read the T&C’s on the ticket. If you don’t fancy the risk don’t bleeding go.

If I go to formula one and skip on to the track, I’d thoroughly expect to get ran over.

She wasn’t exactly standing on the middle of the fairway though was she......

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
She wasn’t exactly standing on the middle of the fairway though was she......

As a golfer, golfers should know how wayward they can be. They might be professionals, but they can still be wayward. Wherever you stand, you are in the line of fire.
Complete lack of attention. Unaware of surroundings. Left brain somewhere else.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Please tell me you are joking .............................. you must be.
I'm assuming you couldn't find the appropriate smiley for the end of your post.
No, I'm not joking. Wearing something to protect yourself from the possibility of losing an eye or perhaps sustaining an intercranial bleed seems eminently sensible. What is your objection to it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a golfer, golfers should know how wayward they can be. They might be professionals, but they can still be wayward. Wherever you stand, you are in the line of fire.
Complete lack of attention. Unaware of surroundings. Left brain somewhere else.

Was she a golfer?

People are so quick to judge. Oh she should have done this should have done that. Wonderful captain hindsight

Fact is she lost use of her eye. Her life will never be the same again

Your telling me if this was your wife, sister, aunt , cousin, friend you would be saying to her oh well you should really have been paying more attention. Rubbish.

The poor women now has one eye for crying out loud.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, I'm not joking. Wearing something to protect yourself from the possibility of losing an eye or perhaps sustaining an intercranial bleed seems eminently sensible. What is your objection to it?
You can’t even get cyclists to wear helmets ...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Was she a golfer?

People are so quick to judge. Oh she should have done this should have done that. Wonderful captain hindsight

Fact is she lost use of her eye. Her life will never be the same again

Your telling me if this was your wife, sister, aunt , cousin, friend you would be saying to her oh well you should really have been paying more attention. Rubbish.

The poor women now has one eye for crying out loud.

Yes she is.