Animal scrapings

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
We have an issue with birds pecking for worms and leaving quite large holes in the ground, I have looked at the rules and can only find reference to rabbits! Any thoughts?

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
I guessed that, was just wondering if I had missed something, be interesting to see if there is a local rule out there

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
in this country if the damage is sufficient to create a problem in general play then it's normally birds digging up leather jackets (daddylonglegs larvae) which they can hear - it's not worms. areas just off the green and aprons being common.

green keeper needs to treat: committee need to get active with the GUR markings in the interim - no LR required.

LR is a nightmare. unless you can arrange for the birds to leave a little sign 'I did this' by any damage they cause you cannot possibly differentiate between 1 bird making one small hole and a normal blemish on your course so it's un-workable.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Further to Duncan's reply, where this is a recurring and serious problem, courses will mark the areas GUR. Often they will restrict relief to lie or line of intended swing only but not stance.

These could well be crows looking for fever fly' larvae, for which there isn't a permitted chemical treatment.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
These could well be crows looking for fever fly' larvae, for which there isn't a permitted chemical treatment.

good point. I believe the usual treatments for leather jackets are chemically effective against these, but that in practical terms they aren't at this time of year as the larvae are generally much deeper in the soil - which is also a factor in the mess the crows make getting at them!

isn't wildlife wonderful :)

now I must get back to making up some barn owl nest boxes instead of sitting here!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
good point. I believe the usual treatments for leather jackets are chemically effective against these, but that in practical terms they aren't at this time of year as the larvae are generally much deeper in the soil - which is also a factor in the mess the crows make getting at them!

isn't wildlife wonderful :)

now I must get back to making up some barn owl nest boxes instead of sitting here!
So you do give 2 hoots.:whistle: