Amazon Ebooks

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got an Amazon Fire HD tablet. I like reading and get books from a library. Recently, I've been looking at the ebooks option.I downloaded a book to my tablet but got the message"can't open file". The book was in "epub" format. Amazon ebooks come in a different format. After some extensive Googling, it turns out that you can install an app that allows you to read epub books. However, you first have to be shown how to disable a " security" feature which prevents you from downloading non Amazon provided apps. The other odd thing was that the app was listed by Amazon but refused to download.
In the great scheme of things, I know that this experience although irritating is fairly trivial. Nevertheless, there is something disturbing in the way that such a massive enterprise uses a somewhat underhand way of manipulating its tablet's system to push the punter to source ebooks exclusively from Amazon.
It's a bit like buying a Ford and finding that it will only run on Ford fuel.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a programme on my laptop that converts epub to kindle format. Cant remember what it's called and am away on holiday this week so can't check but will have a look when I get home if you still need help.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
What app are you trying to read them on, Kindle?
Kindle is Amazon's own app and read Epub/PDF's as well as the Amazon Mobi format.

I have no issues with reading any book format on my tablet or my phone using the Kindle app.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What app are you trying to read them on, Kindle?
Kindle is Amazon's own app and read Epub/PDF's as well as the Amazon Mobi format.

I have no issues with reading any book format on my tablet or my phone using the Kindle app.

The app is aldiko - it seems to have solved the problem.