Alternative methods of scoring comps under COVID19 conditions

IanMcC

Visit site
In Wales, as of Monday 1st June, we can start playing 2 balls, and 3 balls from 2 households. We will be looking at starting comps the week after, probably. One of the Wales Golf guidelines is that no physical cards can be entered. Does anyone here have any good ideas how we can efficiently run comps? I have downloaded the VPAR app, but it doesn't seem ideal. I entered a test round but it did not register on the 'rounds' for my course. Also, the historical rounds are listed in score order, not date, which would have helped. I know we can send photos of cards or upload scores, but is there a smarter way?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In Wales, as of Monday 1st June, we can start playing 2 balls, and 3 balls from 2 households. We will be looking at starting comps the week after, probably. One of the Wales Golf guidelines is that no physical cards can be entered. Does anyone here have any good ideas how we can efficiently run comps? I have downloaded the VPAR app, but it doesn't seem ideal. I entered a test round but it did not register on the 'rounds' for my course. Also, the historical rounds are listed in score order, not date, which would have helped. I know we can send photos of cards or upload scores, but is there a smarter way?
This has been debated a few times lately. The search function may help. While the consensus seemed to be apps being the best method, trying to get the entire field to have the same app and all use it effectively would arguably be an issue. Does the union not give further advice. Check the English Golf Union site. There are a few on here that are up to date and helping at clubs during this that may give you more advice

D

Deleted Member 1156

I may be wrong (or I may even be right) but I thought there was a function in IG to enter your live score hole by hole on their app?

D

Deleted member 15344

I may be wrong (or I may even be right) but I thought there was a function in IG to enter your live score hole by hole on their app?

There is on IG - normally you had to then accept the score on the PSI once finished but I believe there were sorting something to so that it can all be done on the APP

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
According to the news there is no evidence the virus can live on letters or parcels. Why then would a scorecard be any different? Fill in your own scorecard, put it in a box. As long as the person entering the scores is careful not to touch their face whilst doing it and washes their hands afterwards then there's no risk to anybody

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
According to the news there is no evidence the virus can live on letters or parcels. Why then would a scorecard be any different? Fill in your own scorecard, put it in a box. As long as the person entering the scores is careful not to touch their face whilst doing it and washes their hands afterwards then there's no risk to anybody
I quick search on the internet revealed that researchers have found that the Coronavirus can remain on cardboard for up to 24 hrs and on paper for up to 4hrs. The moral of the storey is not to believe everything you read on the news.
We have up to 140 in our competitions, do you know how long that would take to enter and deal with the resulting queries. All would have to be done by volunteers at our club.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We play our first comp next Saturday in 2 balls. We've been told to fill our own cards in and also record our FC's score, sign the card and the pro shop will enter them. If the 2 cards differ from each other BOTH players will be DQ'D.i guess that's ok

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So leave them in the box for 48 hours. Not difficult. And even someone who is not particularly fast on a pc could easily process one scorecard in 20 seconds, so for 140 cards about an hour, with a toilet break. Simple.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I ran a Swindle for 20 of us this last Sat. using TeamApp which we use for our Club 'Tigers Team'. Players put both scores on one card or if both weren't in then PP scored their card then they take a photo & up-load image to the App where it could also be confirmed in the comments section if necessary.
Monies are dealt with by BACs. It works well for 20 of us & I'd say I could easily double the numbers with little extra effort required. You could require everyone in the group to submit it as a Supplementary then they'd also get a H/cap adjustment.
I think we as a Club are going to use the PSI Screen with a strict cleansing procedure & cards then 'bagged' for later verification, by someone using disposable gloves.
3xcards submitted for New H/caps are a greater problem as the whole Application needs examining more carefully.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So leave them in the box for 48 hours. Not difficult. And even someone who is not particularly fast on a pc could easily process one scorecard in 20 seconds, so for 140 cards about an hour, with a toilet break. Simple.
Haha.... have you ever done it? :unsure:

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
we are running a test competition next weekend. player to mark and sign own card, leave card in wicker basket on completion of round. our handicap sec, will then enter the score cards on the computer.
we are run completely by volunteers, so if I was at a club with a secretary 'on the books', or a pro on retainer, it would in my opinion become part of their job until normality returns.

IanMcC

Visit site
Answering some of the above posts - Rightly or wrongly, Wales Golf instruct no cards to be used, and do not specify any timescale. The quote from their document is 'If competitive stroke play is played, a method of scoring needs to be used that does not require any handling or exchanging of scorecards.' Cant really misunderstand that one, its very clear. I like the TeamApp suggestion. I have set up a group for people to upload to. I am the M&H Secretary, unpaid of course, and i do see it as part of my job until normality returns, and indeed afterwards. We usually get between 90 and 100 players. Uploading their scorecards to ClubV1 will be a doddle. Easily inside 2 hours.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Answering some of the above posts - Rightly or wrongly, Wales Golf instruct no cards to be used, and do not specify any timescale. The quote from their document is 'If competitive stroke play is played, a method of scoring needs to be used that does not require any handling or exchanging of scorecards.' Cant really misunderstand that one, its very clear. I like the TeamApp suggestion. I have set up a group for people to upload to. I am the M&H Secretary, unpaid of course, and i do see it as part of my job until normality returns, and indeed afterwards. We usually get between 90 and 100 players. Uploading their scorecards to ClubV1 will be a doddle. Easily inside 2 hours.
Yeah with a 'Tablet' set up for the TeamApp Up-loads & a PC/Laptop using V1 2hrs will be more the mark IMO with checking you've got all the cards & any associated queries etc. TeamApp also means that everyone else can see the cards... keeps things nice & transparent during the current circumstances.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
EG was stating No Physical use of cards other than the scorer, not sure when or even if that instruction changed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
England Golf says
• Committees may choose to allow methods of scoring in stroke play that do not strictly comply with Rule 3.3b, or do not comply with the normal methods used under Rule 3.3b. For example
• Players may enter their own hole scores on the scorecard (it is not necessary for a marker to do it)
• It is not necessary to have a marker physically certify the player’s hole scores, but some form of verbal certification should take place
• It is not necessary to physically return a scorecard to the Committee provided the Committee can accept the scores in another way
As provided in the Rules of Golf, scorecards can be electronic, which could include emailing or texting scores to the Committee.

The R&A says
Scoring in Stroke Play (Rule 3.3b)

In view of concerns around handling and exchanging scorecards (which may be in paper or electronic form as already provided in the Rules), on a temporary basis, Committees may choose to allow methods of scoring in stroke play that do not strictly comply with Rule 3.3b, or do not comply with the normal methods used under Rule 3.3b.
For example:
  • Players may enter their own hole scores on the scorecard (it is not necessary for a marker to do it).
  • It is not necessary to have a marker physically certify the player’s hole scores, but some form of verbal certification should take place.
  • It is not necessary to physically return a scorecard to the Committee provided the Committee can accept the scores in another way.
I would suggest emailing a scan of the card or sending an excel SS of the scores

IanMcC

Visit site
I would suggest emailing a scan of the card or sending an excel SS of the scores

That is exactly what the TeamApp does.