Alnmouth Village GC

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Local news tonight reported that large chunks of fairway have fallen into the sea. One of the greens is also in danger of being lost.

Not good news for a 9 hole course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw that, big chunks 😳. This isn't new, although they were bigger bits than normal. They installed 'groynes '? quite a few years ago which helped stretches but they are seen as bad now, it amplifies the problem further down the coast.

It tends to affect just 1 hole in the main, at the far end of the course. They can shimmy things a bit if that green gets cut off but obviously they haven't got much room to play with.

Incidentally, we walk our dog at Cresswell and the dunes there have had similar damage. It's quite dramatic, as though sections have been sliced off.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I saw that, big chunks 😳. This isn't new, although they were bigger bits than normal. They installed 'groynes '? quite a few years ago which helped stretches but they are seen as bad now, it amplifies the problem further down the coast.

It tends to affect just 1 hole in the main, at the far end of the course. They can shimmy things a bit if that green gets cut off but obviously they haven't got much room to play with.

Incidentally, we walk our dog at Cresswell and the dunes there have had similar damage. It's quite dramatic, as though sections have been sliced off.
According to the BBC website, it's a different area than before which has been affected.

It's a course I've never played, though some of our lads went up a few weeks ago.

News bulletin here, the story is 03.30 in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to the BBC website, it's a different area than before which has been affected.

It's a course I've never played, though some of our lads went up a few weeks ago.

News bulletin here, the story is 03.30 in.

It's affecting the 5th green at the end of the course. This area doesn't have any groynes and for years there has been talk of it being cut off. Other sections are wearing slowly, too slow to really matter, but that bit has always been more susceptible. The damage this time looks more startling than previous wear which tended to be gradual but consistent. Saying that, I haven't actually seen it since this has happened so I don't know how much it has taken away.

The club are always looking for protection from erosion but they are up against various agencies, cost etc. This is probably an attempt to nudge some parties into action. Many agencies now are against protecting wearing areas, let nature take its course. This doesn't help anyone who has a vested interest in the areas that are getting worn down though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A friend sent me a link to the Daily Mail online which has picked up this story. It mentions that the fees are £995. They are actually £372. Just a little bit out then :rolleyes:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Members panic and media get steamed up with these stories.
A course near where I live had a bit of storm damage around the year 2000.
I had the job of calming things down and was on the sharp end of some very nasty comments when we followed sound advice and did nothing.
Perhaps I went a bridge too far when I said that perhaps God was a decent golf course architect as I thought he had improved one holes layout. ;) (y)

25 years on, no remedial work carried out and the course is exactly the same.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A huge storm on Christmas Day 1806 caused the river Aln to change its course by bursting through the dunes to the sea. This cut off the church from the rest of Alnmouth village.
On the hill where the church once was is a large stone cross.
Satellite shot on googlemap is at low tide and you can see where the river used to go, south of Church Hill, to the sea.
Must have been one mighty event to witness. On Christmas Day as well.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played there umpteen years ago. Nice tidy little course.
We stayed for a few nights at what was the Marine Hotel but I think has now gone. Pity as it was comfortable and served good food.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I rather regret not making the time to play it when I organized an 'Escape the Jubbie' trip a few years ago but the Foxton GC bunkhouse facilities were just too engaging & the 3 course meals always served on time. Not sure when I may be back but it certainly is a lovely golfing area at reasonable prices.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played there umpteen years ago. Nice tidy little course.
We stayed for a few nights at what was the Marine Hotel but I think has now gone. Pity as it was comfortable and served good food.
Converted into flats and sold for a tidy sum. It was a smashing place, it was a shame that was allowed to happen, although not for the owners.

The chef there was a good golfer. Whupped me two years running in club knockouts. Even though that wasn't a tough task, he was still good 😄. Nice guy as well.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On an historical note.
The ruined church near the 1st tee of Gullane No 1 was abandoned in the mid 18th century due to massive sandstorms.
It is now nearly a mile from the sea.
Nature changes things.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I rather regret not making the time to play it when I organized an 'Escape the Jubbie' trip a few years ago but the Foxton GC bunkhouse facilities were just too engaging & the 3 course meals always served on time. Not sure when I may be back but it certainly is a lovely golfing area at reasonable prices.
I want to play there too, while there's enough of it left. You, me, Lord T +1?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On an historical note.
The ruined church near the 1st tee of Gullane No 1 was abandoned in the mid 18th century due to massive sandstorms.
It is now nearly a mile from the sea.
Nature changes things.
It absolutely does but that doesn't mean members can't try to hold on to something that has been in existence for 155 years. That's natural, isn't it?

If part of the course disappears then they will adapt but it is still a story.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It absolutely does but that doesn't mean members can't try to hold on to something that has been in existence for 155 years. That's natural, isn't it?

If part of the course disappears then they will adapt but it is still a story.
It is much better to evolve /redesign/ shorten the course within it's area than spend ££££thousands on sea defenses to save an area that will probably disappear.
[BTW the spending is usually demanded by the members by anyone other than themselves.]